Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Galloway Pine Marten - at last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galloway Pine Marten - at last!

Back in March while I was out walking the dog on a forest road, about 2 or 3 miles from home, I found some pine marten droppings in the middle of the track - the first indication that I've seen that they've spread this far west from the Galloway Forest Park. So out of sight of the road, I started baiting up a likely looking spot with peanut butter, jam and eggs, and set up a trail camera nearby. After a few days the camera picked up at least two individuals, and with regular baiting they began visiting every night.(More recently a female with two kits has been coming to feed at dusk.) I made a hide with some camo netting, but after five months of no actual 'live' sightings, I was on the verge of giving up. But on Monday evening I at last got a result - this very dainty little pine marten (I think she's one of the kits) appeared just as the light was failing and I finally managed some half decent images with her backlit by the setting sun. I was able to watch her for several minutes until something spooked her and she slipped away into the undergrowth.

Pine Marten by DavidMB2006

Pine Marten by DavidMB2006, on Flickr

Pine Marten by DavidMB2006

All pictures taken with the EM1mk2, 300mm f4, @f4, ISO 800, shutter speeds as low as 1/15s
    David

Re: Galloway Pine Marten - at last!

Leaving aside the joy of seeing such an elusive creature the light behind him and falling on him is just lovely.

Comment

Sorry, should have twigged - her!

Comment

Thanks Dan. I didn't make it easy for myself with where I put the hide - shooting into the setting sun not ideal, but it has given her a nice halo!
        David

Comment

Fantastic photos, they give great credit to your patience and endurance...
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Yes what Mark said. Your dedication paid off in the end. The back lit scenes are just superb.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Great shots and a reward for your patience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
              Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

I would think that if the images are technically good enough to be enlarged, they could win and award!

Jim

Comment

Well done, persistence rewarded by a great set of photos. The backlighting works brilliantly.

Are you going to carry on in the hope of catching more of the family?

John

Comment

Very well done.

Harold
                    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Beautifully captured, the backlighting really is a bonus.

Comment

Many thanks for your kind comments everyone.

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                        Well done, persistence rewarded by a great set of photos. The backlighting works brilliantly.

Are you going to carry on in the hope of catching more of the family?
                        Definitely John, but with the evenings now starting to draw in I might not get many more opportunities again in daylight, so I'm starting to think about a remote flash set-up.
                        David

Comment

Really fantastic images.
                          Your patience has certainly paid off.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Great pictures (and great dedication).
                            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                            Learn something new every day

Comment

Great perseverance and well done on some cracking shots in great light. I think no5 edges it for me as it has that dynamic pose.

Comment

Working...
                              X