More red-backed shrikes from the portable hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More red-backed shrikes from the portable hide

Sharing a few more photos taken from my pop-up tent converted to portable hide.

Very few warblers were seen today, perhaps because of the brisk breeze. Anyway there were some Red-backed shrikes around which I decided to focus on. Mostly females and juveniles, and only one male (there were at least three couples the other week, but we are late in season and many have started the migration south).

All with the EM-1 M1 and the Zuiko 300/2.8 lens.

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Re: More red-backed shrikes from the portable hide

Wonderful shots of a superb bird in all its gender and age variations Tord. I am not usually a fan of head-on shots but numbers two and three are delightful.

Ron

Comment

Lovely photos, last one is a cracker...

Despite the hide, he had you sussed...……..:-)
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
        Wonderful shots of a superb bird in all its gender and age variations Tord. I am not usually a fan of head-on shots but numbers two and three are delightful.

Ron
        Thanks Ron,

About head-on shots...

My recent sessions used the hide confirmed what I remembered from attenting a presentation held by a famous ornithonologist and writer a few years ago, something he called "neophobia". With that he meant that birds react to changes in their environment and just have an urge to inspect to find out what the change is about. In Europe where they have been hunted for centuries most birds will avoid human. With the hide it is a totally different story. After venturing out in the terrain, scouting using the binos and deciding for what looks like a promising location I decide for a spot and quickly deploy the hide to take advantage of terrain features, vegetation, light angle etc. By then all birds around have all "disappeared", they are simpy hiding. After a while, usually within 15 minutes, some will come back and check out this change in environment. Many of them seem pay a lot of interest in the lens that is poking out through the camo mesh covering the blind. Some may come really close, the shrikes that were inspecting were within 5-6 meters, staring at the lens. Once their curiosity has been satisfied and they assessed the thing is not a threat they accept the hide as a part of their home turf and will resume normal business, feeding or resting. After 30 minutes, I'd say less than an hour, most residents will have satisfied their curiosity and by then the photo action will be slowing down - time to move on. Cars offer similar possibilities, but for obvious reasons they can't be brought anywhere.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
        X