Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncommon walk details

Well, here's a nice scene.

Not particularly attractive. I wonder why Pete took this picture then. Where is it?

Here's a hint:

Yes. twenty something years later - that is what the main runway at Greenham Common looks like now. For a long time Mother Nature seemed bemused by the removal of the concrete and tarmac, but finally she has got into gear and is busy erasing all the damage we did.
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Uncommon walk details

Now you can walk, cycle and run around on the secret air base. Warning: There may be cows.

In a rare spark of genius, they kept the control tower and after a couple of decades of indecision they decided to do something useful with it. You can get a cup of tea there. Excellent!

Pete

Comment

BTW. All of the above with a Pen F and my new walkabout lens, the Panasonic 14-140 bought for holiday purposes. It's not that bad actually...

It's going to be a one lens holiday. OK, I'm actually taking the 8mm body cap fish eye as well for those super wide shots. That is so small and light you hardly know you are carrying it and it is also not that bad.

Pete

Comment

It's amazing how fast nature can heal the scars we leave behind if we give it a chance. This is far better use of the land than a nuclear air base.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Nice set.
          I like that they kept the control tower and put it to good use. A good reminder of what used to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post

Yes. twenty something years later - that is what the main runway at Greenham Common looks like now. For a long time Mother Nature seemed bemused by the removal of the concrete and tarmac, but finally she has got into gear and is busy erasing all the damage we did.

I remember those fence posts!

I was at the free festival there in July 1982 when the fencing was smashed down with sledgehammers (I've had a colourful past!).

Comment

There was a nice American gentleman acting as guide in the tower. He served at the base in the 80s and said how great it was.

I kept my views to myself. Particularly now that the USA is the only true friend we have left in the world. So I'm told.

Comment

Would be interesting to go round with a Geiger counter, though perhaps not a metal detector!
                Stuff from Cuba
                More stuff from Cuba
                It all started here

Comment

I was at Greenham Common in the 80s when women's groups from all over the country converged on the base and cut the fence down. There was miles of fence laid flat with the nuclear missile base totally exposed. The base was quickly crawling with police and troops with a Chinook hovering with searchlights on. It was a remarkable (and historic) sight!

I was recruited to drive a minibus so there would be transport for those that weren't arrested.

Jim

Comment

I once offered a lift to a man-hating lady from the peace camp.

Won't do that again :-)

Comment

In context the pictures are very interesting. Would be good to have a proper comparison but I suspect that photography would have been frowned upon when the base was working.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                        I once offered a lift to a man-hating lady from the peace camp.

Won't do that again :-)

Are they still there?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                          Nice set.
                          I like that they kept the control tower and put it to good use. A good reminder of what used to be there.
                          I certainly had a beer or two in the canteen there in the early 70's........
                          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                            I was at Greenham Common in the 80s when women's groups from all over the country converged on the base and cut the fence down. There was miles of fence laid flat with the nuclear missile base totally exposed. The base was quickly crawling with police and troops with a Chinook hovering with searchlights on. It was a remarkable (and historic) sight!

I was recruited to drive a minibus so there would be transport for those that weren't arrested.

Jim
                            It was surely irresponsible to cut the fence down when it was all that was protecting the nuclear weapons on the base.

There again, it was highly irresponsible to have those weapons protected by only a fence!
                            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
                              Are they still there?
                              No, they drifted away once the shouting was over. There's just a trading estate there now, and empty cruise missile hangers.

Comment

Working...
                              X