Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The Moon - 300mmF4 + MC-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moon - 300mmF4 + MC-20

Trying out the Moon with the 300mm F4 + MC-20. 1/200 F8 @ ISO 200, tripod. Some cropping, levels and sharpening in C1Pro. I tried higher ISOs and shutter speeds but this seemed to work the best.

First chance I've had to try moon shots with the new tele-convertor as I had to send my lens off for repairs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Re: The Moon - 300mmF4 + MC-20

There's a nice amount of detail in it there.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

That looks very nice. Definitely a step up over the shot i got using my 40-150.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

My best efforts last night. I used Registax to stack 4 photos. Despite the EM1 ii with the 300mm Pro + 1.4TC showing good focus, did not get what I hoped for. Maybe a bit of vibration somewhere. I have used Faststone to edit, maybe just oversharpenend a bit...

Tripod and cable release used...……….
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post

My best efforts last night. I used Registax to stack 4 photos. Despite the EM1 ii with the 300mm Pro + 1.4TC showing good focus, did not get what I hoped for. Maybe a bit of vibration somewhere. I have used Faststone to edit, maybe just oversharpenend a bit...

Tripod and cable release used...……….
          This is an example of when stacking works against you. Did you use the magnification option to enlarge the image and then manual focus. What ISO and shutter speed did you use?

As you say a bit of vibration may be the cause even on a tripod I use electronic shutter with a 12 sec delay and remote release.
          Oh forgot to mention passing high cloud can be an issue as well.
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
            This is an example of when stacking works against you. Did you use the magnification option to enlarge the image and then manual focus. What ISO and shutter speed did you use?

As you say a bit of vibration may be the cause even on a tripod I use electronic shutter with a 12 sec delay and remote release.
            Oh forgot to mention passing high cloud can be an issue as well.
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Using the magnify mode at max to help manual focus makes a huge difference Highly recommended, it's quite surprising to see the sensitivity and focus peaking just doesn't always get it spot on as I have learn't to my cost a few times.

The moon moves very fast so I would go for a faster shutter speed of at least 1/500 or even 1/1000th sec.

Finally even using cable release cases some vibration, use the delay setting of at least two secs or higher.

Then after all that a change in the viewing level due to cloud or air turbulance still can catch you out.

Good fun this astro stuff
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks very much for that advice Dave, appreciated.

Maybe days before we see the moon again, a deluge or two are on their way......
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

As others have said - nice detail.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

Interesting comments about focus. I've always just used af assuming that the moon was so far away the large dof would cover any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                      Interesting comments about focus. I've always just used af assuming that the moon was so far away the large dof would cover any issues.
                      In theory you are right the moon is 384 million meters away and the DOF is huge but it does make a difference if you look at the screen when magnifying the view. A tiny movement of the focus ring can make all the difference.

Another technique is to take say three shots at different exposure settings say +1, 0, -1 stop. Then stack using HDR to bring out more detail in the brighter areas, where it tends to get lost.

Don't forget to turn Auto-Focus OFF if you are on a tripod it actually makes things worse.

Probably the biggest factor though is heat haze and atmospheric disturbance.
                      If it has been a warm day and there are surrounding buildings which are warm probably best to not even try using stills. The "expert" astro guys use video instead and process the individual frames is whats called lucky imaging. They take thousands of frames then use software (like PIPP) to measure the image quality of every single frame and then only stack say the best 1% or 2%.

The moon is such a popular target but it certainly is not easy to get everything just right for the "perfect image".

Lots more info/tips here:

https://photographylife.com/landscap...hotograph-moon
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thats a great link thanks Dave.

Comment

Working...
                        X