Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goldfields Railway

The Victorian Goldfields Railway

Sandra and I spent a great weekend at Castlemaine where I had set out to capture a few nice shots of the “Gold Train” as it made its 17km journey from its home station at Maldon.

Unaware of the event we got to Maldon Station too late to see the start of an onboard reenactment of Murder on the Orient Express, but after the excursion
    the train made a run to Muckleford Station with a photographer and two actors aboard to create a promotional brochure for the Goldfields Railway.

By driving along the old bush track that follows the line we finally arrived at the perfect setting to capture the train passing over a viaduct.
    I needed enough elevation to oversee the line so I parked close to viaduct and climbed onto the roof of my car, (not recommended).

Sandra's Smartphone Photo

My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Re: The Goldfields Railway

I don't know which looks the more precarious Mark - you on top of the car or the train on that raised, rickety, wooden track. Fascinating shots.

Ron

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Sandra really nailed that shot of you on the roof with the train coming!
        #2 is really a fabulous shot, about the best I've seen of a "wooden viaduct" and a steam train. Well worth the effort Mark, great work.
        Glad to see the Mazda being put through its paces, who needs a 4x4!
        Stuff from Cuba
        More stuff from Cuba
        It all started here

Comment

Excellent stuff, but I agree with Ron that the viaduct looks barely up to the task, not sure I'd want to be that close to it with a train on top!
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

Great set. Numbers 2 and 5 for me.
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

A nice set.

The angle in last one makes it look like the train's wheels are running on the wooden edge of the viaduct.

Comment

Love the pics, love steam engines in steam.
                Love the irony of holding a Murder on the Orient Express event in Australia, where surely everyone is a suspect!

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                  I don't know which looks the more precarious Mark - you on top of the car or the train on that raised, rickety, wooden track. Fascinating shots. Ron
                  The line is a tad older than I, but there was a greater chance of me falling than the viaduct collapsing. I was freezing cold and blowing a gale; IS1 kept me on the job!

Those two dudes were characters from Murder on the Orient Express, Mark.

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                  Sandra really nailed that shot of you on the roof with the train coming!
                  #2 is really a fabulous shot, about the best I've seen of a "wooden viaduct" and a steam train. Well worth the effort Mark, great work.
                  Glad to see the Mazda being put through its paces, who needs a 4x4!
                  Indeed she did, and she didn't mention she had taken it until we got back to the hotel that evening ... I was gobsmacked!
                  The Mazda sometimes gets pretty rough treatment. My son reckons that the car will wind up on its roof on some remote bush track someday - out of range of a telco tower!
                  Thanks, Beag'.
                  My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                    Excellent stuff, but I agree with Ron that the viaduct looks barely up to the task, not sure I'd want to be that close to it with a train on top!
                    Well it has stood the test of time and the line is regularly checked by railway engineers for safety - a different lot to those responsible for checking the cladding and materials used on high rise apartments!

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                    Great set. Numbers 2 and 5 for me.
                    Thanks Dave.
                    My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                      A nice set.
                      The angle in last one makes it look like the train's wheels are running on the wooden edge of the viaduct.
                      Thanks Keith. Yes, I did notice that. It's due to the rail profile being taller than the side rail. The low camera angle gives that impression.

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                      Love the pics, love steam engines in steam.
                      Love the irony of holding a Murder on the Orient Express event in Australia, where surely everyone is a suspect!
                      Touche! But we must remember where those criminal genes came from, Tim!
                      My Flickr

Comment

A great set Mark.

I enjoy steam and were pleased to see K153.

Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aus_Steam_%2788

Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Only just caught up with this dare devil stunt. Impressive stuff Mark how did you get ontop of the Mazda without denting it? My old Mazda had realy thin panels!
                          Well worth it though, super shots.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I did not know Mazda made tripods. Thanks for showing these Mark.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                              I did not know Mazda made tripods. Thanks for showing these Mark.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                              Not just any old tripod but a self propelling, gear storing and mobile hide all in one!

Comment

Working...
                              X