Hurst Castle moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst Castle moments

We finally girded our lions (more exciting than loins) and *walked* to Hurst Castle. That is a 2 mile forced march entirely over gravel while being blasted by wind. You know you have done it.

So here's the view that yachtists get

Meanwhile inside.

"Careful. I've got a gun"

"Nah mate. That's not a gun. This is a gun"

"No actually I think you'll find THIS is a gun"

I imagine the 12 man crew that fired that 38 tonne monster were calculating if it would do more damage to the enemy that it would do to the castle.

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Hurst Castle moments

When I was there I asked if the 38 ton muzzle loading guns had ever been fired in anger. When the guide said "No" I replied "There's still time yet!".

Jim

Comment

Victorian hospitals took illness seriously. In order to avoid infection your malady was hoisted over your ward and warning cones were set at the entrance.

Comment

... And in the same vein I overcame my fear of needles and solved the "telephoto lens not long enough" problem by hiring a boat and driving up to the sodding thing to get a decent shot.

Pete

Comment

Nice set. The lighthouse shot is great.

Comment

The long shot of the place (#1) is not that inspiring but it looks like the close up action (#2,#3, #4) more than makes up for it (especially with the ongoing commentry). Nice lighthouse/needles shot.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
              We finally girded our lions (more exciting than loins) and *walked* to Hurst Castle. That is a 2 mile forced march entirely over gravel while being blasted by wind. You know you have done it.

So here's the view that yachtists get

Pete
              Yes passed that quite a few years ago, as well as the sodding thing...……..

A very deep patch of water as I remember....56 metres of so...
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X