Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire

Reminds me of a scene from the film The Railway Children.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Re: The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire

Definitely a 'Railway Children' moment.

Comment

Aside from being the restored Flying Scotsman, that is one helluva shot, Phill - photojournalism at its very best.
      I bet it cost a pretty penny to be aboard that sentimental journey.

I recently watched a BBC doco on the restoration. The Scotsman was capable of incredible speed I believe.
      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Yes, a great shot of old locomotive.

Comment

That's great wide angle framing Phil. Gives the Flying Scotsman a presence in its lanscape.
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Gosh thanks guys much appreciated, you've really made me smile now. It was a shot I had in my mind before I got it but the people were an added bonus. I was a bit dismayed when they first started to turn up as I hadn't planned for them but there was no way I could complain! Anyway as it happened I soon realised I'd get a different shot and they definitely added an excited atmosphere to the shot that really conveyed the feel of the moment a lot better. The Scotsman was about a half hour late passing us and they started to wave at every train that came past as they waited.

Comment

No shame in having the people in the shot and it does give the scene some extra importance. Well framed. I have some shots of it up at the NRM but alas nothing steaming through the countryside.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Cracking shot Phil. I would have loved to have seen it myself but this is a very good substitute.

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                I recently watched a BBC doco on the restoration. The Scotsman was capable of incredible speed I believe.
                The Scotsman was fast but others were faster. Numbered 4472 Scotsman became the first steam locomotive to be officially clocked at 100 mph (160.9 km/h) on 30 November 1934.

However, the Mallard was clocked at 126 mph (202 km/h) on the 3rd of July 1938; a record which she still holds for steam traction.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I like it a lot...!! Just captures what steam still means to both young and old..whereabouts was it Phil...near Matlock?

Peter
                  OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                  I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    Cracking shot Phil. I would have loved to have seen it myself but this is a very good substitute.

The Scotsman was fast but others were faster. Numbered 4472 Scotsman became the first steam locomotive to be officially clocked at 100 mph (160.9 km/h) on 30 November 1934.

However, the Mallard was clocked at 126 mph (202 km/h) on the 3rd of July 1938; a record which she still holds for steam traction.
                    I only wish we had the Scotsman or a Mallard on our NE Victorian line, instead of the derelict trains that run between Melbourne and the Victorian border - I suspect we bought them from a Calcutta disposal store - so overcrowded even here that like in India some of us travel on the roof!
                    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

The Scotsman is travelling round the country, this leg was from Chesterfield to Burton-on-Trent I think. My shot was taken just North of a village called Milford. It certainly was a magnificent site and really pleasing to see the reaction it got. It's really popular and people still turn out to see her. A bit too popular at times maybe as there have been instances of people straying on the tracks delaying the trains!

Comment

Working...
                      X