Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Woodpecker 2 - Return of the redhead. (Image Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Woodpecker 2 - Return of the redhead. (Image Heavy)

I decided to try to get the camera closer to the pecker workers.
    Having acquired a 10m mast some time ago, I mounted the Mk2 with mc-14 and 300 f4 on top and raised it a modest 6m and shot with the app via wi-fi on the phone.
    Mindful of the weight and not wishing to risk an expensive crash 6m seemed relatively stable in an un-guyed configuration!
    Shot @ f9 and 1/50th sec!

Yes, I do have another 1000 or so...
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Re: Green Woodpecker 2 - Return of the redhead. (Image Heavy)

A chance like this and you only have a thousand or so shots... wait until the little ones arrive. These are stunning shots.
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

Costly shots, how much did the mast cost, bought online from amazon and shipped, I guess? ...Bloody marvelous, Beag'!
      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

These are brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
          Costly shots, how much did the mast cost, bought online from amazon and shipped, I guess? ...Bloody marvelous, Beag'!
          Got the pole a few years ago secondhand and went to collect it. I think it was used for aerial house photography by an estate agent in the days before drones.

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
          ... wait until the little ones arrive.
          Yes, I'm hoping for a brood. I may risk a higher.....
          Stuff from Cuba
          More stuff from Cuba
          It all started here

Comment

Superb set of photos, well caught and good planning...
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Super set of shots. I think this is going to be a mini series thread watching the kids grow .
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Nice shots. How wide is the base of the mast? How long time does it take to deploy?

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                  Nice shots. How wide is the base of the mast? How long time does it take to deploy?
                  Thanks.

The 4 legs can be upto 2m long each, so at 45 degree leg angle about 2.85m across the corners.
                  Where both the legs and the braces attach can be moved up and down and locked so you could go wider with a lower angle.

Deployment is all manual, but very quick. Just a couple of minutes to slide the mast up one section at a time and a few minutes before that to set the quadrapod up and make sure it is fairly level. You could add sandbags to the corners which I have but don't use and guys, but that would take longer.

I'm happy to go to full height with a lighter setup for a pano type shot without guys or sandbags.

With the mk2, the 300 with foot and ec-14 on a very heavy ball head I was being cautious!
                  Stuff from Cuba
                  More stuff from Cuba
                  It all started here

Comment

Impressive and kind exciting. Great images. I'm curious as to how you manage to rotate the camera to line with intended shot.

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
                      Impressive and kind exciting. Great images. I'm curious as to how you manage to rotate the camera to line with intended shot.
                      Thanks.

Like a light stand the poles slide inside each other so rotation is no problem. I also made a ring clamp for the bottom pole so I could rotate it with the holding clamp kept loose without losing height. It originally came with a battery powered motorised head and a long lead with a remote, but I found it useless for a heavy (Nikon FF) camera so sold it to help cover the cost of the mast.
                      Stuff from Cuba
                      More stuff from Cuba
                      It all started here

Comment

To get the right angle for the camera I just picked a spot on the tree approx 4m below the nest hole and locked the head to that angle. I then slid the mast up until I reached the hole using the remote display on the Oly app and framed the picture by rotating the mast and judging the final height.
                        Stuff from Cuba
                        More stuff from Cuba
                        It all started here

Comment

Definitely my kind of pole dancing ...I'll get my coat

Lovely work and descriptions.
                          Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

I can see you up it in drag wearing an itsy g-string, Andrea honey ...
                            My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                            The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                            On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                              I can see you up it in drag wearing an itsy g-string, Andrea honey ...
                              You know me too well. But I make it a rule to never strip further than the mankini.
                              Stuff from Cuba
                              More stuff from Cuba
                              It all started here

Comment

Working...
                              X