Ennerdale water sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ennerdale water sunrise

I went out this morning to shoot the sunsrise at Ennerdale. I was much later than I wanted to be due to road closures and having to divert my route. The weather forecast I looked at last suggested 4 mph winds so a reflection may be possible so I was not expecting waves.

I arrived in time but had a very short window before the cloud obscured the light. These shots are about 4 minutes apart.

Ennerdale sunrise by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Ennerdale sunrise 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?
    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Re: Ennerdale water sunrise

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
    IWhat do you think?
    I think the colour in the top one is superb.
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

They're both cracking shots. I prefer the colours of the first but the composition of the second with the wave not cut by the bottom of the frame is more pleasing.
      I'd be interested to see one with the water frozen though I appreciate you were hoping for smooth lines given the forecast.
      I'd be very pleased if I had shot either of those
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Clearly the light in No1 is more dramatic and this demonstrates what a short window of opportunity there often is for sunrise/sunset shots. Like AMc I prefer the foreground wave in No2.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Two great shots Alf, I prefer the sky in the first shot.
          Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
          Flickr

Comment

Both shots are great but I do have a preference for the second. Maybe it's because it shows just that little more detail in the surrounding hills and mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              I think the colour in the top one is superb.

Thanks OM

Originally posted by AMc View Post
              They're both cracking shots. I prefer the colours of the first but the composition of the second with the wave not cut by the bottom of the frame is more pleasing.
              I'd be interested to see one with the water frozen though I appreciate you were hoping for smooth lines given the forecast.
              I'd be very pleased if I had shot either of those

Thanks AMc
              To freeze that water I may have needed ISO 1600

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Clearly the light in No1 is more dramatic and this demonstrates what a short window of opportunity there often is for sunrise/sunset shots. Like AMc I prefer the foreground wave in No2.

Thanks John

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
              Two great shots Alf, I prefer the sky in the first shot.

Thanks Iain

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
              Both shots are great but I do have a preference for the second. Maybe it's because it shows just that little more detail in the surrounding hills and mountains.

Thanks Keith
              OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Nice work Alf. Personally I prefer the more restrained tones in the second.
                John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Two good shots as I would expect from Alf. My opinion only... I would crop out the breaking wave in the 1st shot, the colour is great. In the second shot there is a small dark line in the water to the right of the centre line.I would row a boat out to it and the railing would draw your eye to the spot. That would make the shot for me. Trouble is, where do you find a rowing boat when you need it lol!.
                  Conor.
                  Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

Originally posted by jdal View Post
                    Nice work Alf. Personally I prefer the more restrained tones in the second.

Thanks John

Originally posted by banjukes View Post
                    Two good shots as I would expect from Alf. My opinion only... I would crop out the breaking wave in the 1st shot, the colour is great. In the second shot there is a small dark line in the water to the right of the centre line.I would row a boat out to it and the railing would draw your eye to the spot. That would make the shot for me. Trouble is, where do you find a rowing boat when you need it lol!.

Thanks Conor

No rowing boats at all here

Comment

Both cracking shots and make me realise how much I miss the Lake District.
                      Best Regards
                      Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                      They're Watching You!

Comment

Amazing scapes as always.

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                          Both cracking shots and make me realise how much I miss the Lake District.

Thanks Bill
                          I wouldnt want to move away

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
                          Amazing scapes as always.

Thanks Jason

Comment

Working...
                          X