Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Dunnock in the Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunnock in the Snow

The Dunnocks in my garden were busy searching for food in the snow today.

E-M1 Mk2 and 300mm f4.

Ron

Re: Dunnock in the Snow

OOOOOOooooooo.....

Snap!

Comment

Oly - I always get 'twitchy' when Dunnocks turn up (excuse the Pun). But please remind me - Dunnocks are not Sparrows, so which is/are finch
      Nice Pics too

Comment

Dunnocks are also known as hedge sparrows - but I don't believe they're related!

Comment

Originally posted by iso View Post
          Oly - I always get 'twitchy' when Dunnocks turn up (excuse the Pun). But please remind me - Dunnocks are not Sparrows, so which is/are finch
          Nice Pics too
          The Dunnock (Prunella modularis) is one of a small family (5) of birds called Accentors. They are commonly called "Hedge Sparrows" because they look a bit like sparrows.

Sparrows such as the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) are part of a family of birds called Paseridae or Passerines.

Finches are yet another family called Fringillidae.

The three families are unrelated to each other.
          Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
          OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
          Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

This weather must be a harsh blow to our birds at a time when they are thinking about nesting. Our feeders are as popular as ever this morning!
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
              The Dunnock (Prunella modularis) is one of a small family (5) of birds called Accentors. They are commonly called "Hedge Sparrows" because they look a bit like sparrows....
              Sorry for asking the obvious but how do you tell them apart?
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Lovely shots Ron. Snow is a great help in getting some action. Great to get the snow on them showing as well.

We had an influx of birds to the garden this morning. So from about seven I have been shooting from my open bedroom window I have three cameras setup and have taken some lovely shots of a flock of mostly fieldfares with one redwing and some thrushes often 4-5 yards away in the Ivy covered tree. Totally enjoyable morning.
                Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Dunnocks have a grey mantle around their neck. They are jittery, ie shake or tremble a lot. They also move in a very shaky manner. Also have an interesting or different sex life. Which I wont go into here. read about it...
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Another distinctive feature of Dunnocks are their beautiful amber eyes and orange legs. They spend a lot of the time foraging for food on the ground and if there is a pair of them they keep flicking their wings to communicate with each other. As Mark has suggested in relation to their interesting social life, it is probably best not to know what they are saying.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                      We had an influx of birds to the garden this morning. So from about seven I have been shooting from my open bedroom window I have three cameras setup and have taken some lovely shots of a flock of mostly fieldfares with one redwing and some thrushes often 4-5 yards away in the Ivy covered tree. Totally enjoyable morning.
                      You have got some beautiful shots on your Flickr pages Peter. All I have had in the garden is two Dunnocks, one Robin and one Blue Tit, which disappeared as soon as I opened the kitchen door.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                        Sorry for asking the obvious but how do you tell them apart?
                        These two links will show you the difference.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...house-sparrow/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...d-a-z/dunnock/
                        Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                        OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                        Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Working...
                        X