Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Horsey Beach, Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsey Beach, Norfolk

Back in October I got a rare chance to nip off and take pictures on my own so I popped over to Horsey, Norfolk.

Breakwater by AMcUK, on Flickr

This languished on the hard drive for a while before I had the time and inclination to process it and upload.

Constructive comments are very welcome
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Re: Horsey Beach, Norfolk

I particularly like the light. This one is far too good to stay forgotten on a hard drive.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Nice shot - and I'm pleased to see that you didn't use a "Big Stopper". I really hate seeing the sea looking like a pool of milk!

Comment

The shot was taken a little after 9am so not quite in the golden hour but still a strong low sun which made everything crisp and bright.

No tripod and no big stopper so there's no danger of a milky sea here It was also fairly choppy so even if I'd had the gear I doubt I could have done that

Thanks for the likes and comments - I usually take pictures when I'm out with the family so I'm stealing a picture here and there without much time to try options.
        On the rare occasions I go out alone I end up taking so many variations on a theme that I'm overwhelmed when processing and choosing my favourites which is why they sit on the computer for too long

Comment

As a Landscape/Seascape photographer here is what I think based on my taste in images.

The horizon is level the shot is sharp and in focus and well exposed. You avoided intersecting the horizon with the poles.
          Unfortunalety being around 2 hours after sunrise (i checked on The photographers ephemeris for the beginning of October) the light is doing little for me though a mono conversion may help it. The sjy is to bright and not showing the clouds.
          You are too far away from that wave splash with too much clutter in the way. You could get closer by the look of it or you could have moved left to get the wave more visible.

It is often belied that leaving images for saome time before editing is a good thing as it helps you to be more objective.
          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Thanks for the constructive feedback Alf!

I think the closer poles are a bit too tight to the horizon - would you have gone higher to get them lower in the frame?

The timing is what it is, I'd taken my kid to school and went the long way back from Wroxham because it was such a clear, crisp day and having an unusually free morning.
            I knew it wasn't the ideal light but it was a spur of the moment thing.

I took a variety of shots closer in and further away and from the left of the breakwater. I didn't get the ideal splash at any point - I think it was coming from ship wash so not very predictable, patience might have got me better results.
            I also didn't have waterproof shoes (or a weatherproof camera) so I erred on the side of caution with zooming with the feet.

Anyway here is the other one I processed and considered worth uploading to Flickr.

Splash! by AMcUK, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AMc View Post
              Breakwater by AMcUK, on Flickr...Constructive comments are very welcome
              I think a square crop (left hand side) to concentrate on the breakwater and subsequent posting of a slightly bigger image allows the dynamism of the waves to come through.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                I think a square crop (left hand side) to concentrate on the breakwater and subsequent posting of a slihgtly bigger image allows the dynamism of the waves to come through.
                Interesting idea - I'd mainly been concentrating on 4:3 and 16:9.
                The idea with the first picture was the lines from the breakwater converging in the centre of the frame.
                I'll have a play next time I'm in Lightroom

Comment

Working...
                X