Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
    Yes nice to see it whatever you took it with. Just out of interest could you have done that with your Oly kit?
    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Here's M101 the Pinwheel Galaxy using the above setup. Oly OMD EM1 MKII 300mm F4 MC 14. 192 x 60 sec ISO1600 stacked in DSS processed in Startools.

M101 is about twice the size of the Needle Galaxy's longest bit and is a lot brighter.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Lovely image John.

You certainly get the best possible results from your Oly and the Star Adventurer mount.
        For me, it seems that it ends up being about your local night sky seeing, then your light pollution, then your patience and finally your gear.

Truly clear skies are rare in this country, that's why many observatories are on top of mountains in far off places. We locals can however still try and make do with what we have.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I agree that's a great image John. Good to see what the Oly kit can do on a tracking mount. Shame it took a 300m to get it though as I don't have one of them either so maybe it's not worth me getting a mount just yet.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
            I agree that's a great image John. Good to see what the Oly kit can do on a tracking mount. Shame it took a 300m to get it though as I don't have one of them either so maybe it's not worth me getting a mount just yet.
            https://www.365astronomy.com/Celestr...Telescope.html

The other thing to consider is the time of year and whats is around in the skies from your location. There is less astro darkness for the next month and then there is none until about August. The really interesting time I think is from September to March. The really good news for you living in Derbyshire is that you must surely be only a short drive away from some really good dark skies.
            John

Comment

What a difference a night makes. This image is a combination of 4 x 300 sec for each R, G, and B channels. Images were taken 26/4/19 with no Moon and clear skies.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Yes, superb.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

Thats a cracker Dave well done.

And thanks John for your comments definitely food for thought.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Whirlpool Galaxy (M51) with NGC 5195 on its arm. 31 million light years away One nights worth of imaging.

Olympus Em5 MKII 300mm f4 + MC14 1600; 143 x 60sec about the size limit this equipment can image, heavy crop. Stacked DSS and processed in StarTools Colour has not been adjusted in ST any bias was taken off.

John

Comment

Superb capture. Very little noise as well.
                        Did you also take flats, darks, and bias frames to use in DSS?
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Dave

For this image I only used 15 dark frames in DSS. I also processed it without dark frames and to be honest I can only see a slight improvement over the dark frame subtraction. I think my time would have been better placed taking more light frames than the dark's. I am so confused about if the calibration files are needed.
                          John

Comment

I tend to agree about darks. Your image if pretty much noise free as far as I can tell from what you have posted.

Flats, however, do make a big difference if you have any dust bunnies on your lens or filters if you use them, or to remove any vignetting that you can get on large targets. If this is a large crop I guess that solves that potential problem as well.
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              I tend to agree about darks. Your image if pretty much noise free as far as I can tell from what you have posted.

Flats, however, do make a big difference if you have any dust bunnies on your lens or filters if you use them, or to remove any vignetting that you can get on large targets. If this is a large crop I guess that solves that potential problem as well.
                              Chers Dave. I tried the flats calibration files and found them limiting. First I found dust bunnies can move when I change the battery and you need flats exactly as your camera and lens are orientated. I clean the lens and exercise the sensor cleaning before starting and keep lens separation from the body to a min. I can remove vignetting easily in Startools. This is a crop and representative of the full image. I think that the calibration files are best for CCD astro sensors and there they work. For DSLR CMOS sensors there is less benefit. Darks can help CMOS when the exposure is long. By keeping the exposure short I get more frames and therefore less noise when stacked.
                              Full image on Astrobin.
                              https://www.astrobin.com/403480/?nc=user
                              John

Comment

Thought I would share this.

It was done by an amateur astrophotographer in a small town in Wiltshire.

If anyone needs convincing to try out astrophotography just watch this.

The background music was done by his local choir.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=0DVpxl5pOmw"]A Cosmic Adventure - YouTube[/ame]
                                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X