• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

• Re: Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

How about some images of people's setup?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
        Dave

The round stars are the product of the Olympus 300mm lens perfect polar alignment using Sharpcap and PHD2 guiding which I am getting sub 2 arc seconds. I keep looking at going your route with new telescope, filters and mount. The one thing that is stopping me is that I have full remote control (USB lead) over the focusing using Olympus Capture. I keep DeepskyStacker Live monitoring the stars FWHM and when I see them drifting I can remotely re-focus without touching the mount. I have my laptop running inside the house connected to the camera and mount via a USB leads so only need to go outside to change the battery.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          How about some images of people's setup?

Jim
          here you go Jim

The coiled up cable is CAT6 (20m) used to connect to my laptop indoors, the USB extender has 4 USB 2 ports I am using 3 for each of the cameras. The setup is balanced. There are 3 dew tape heaters being used. I no longer use the polar align scope. I use a compass and then tune using Sharpcap.
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Agree Sharpcap is amazing. I would go as far as saying you need remote focusing to do this stuff it is essential. Touching the scope or even cables to get sub 2 arc second precision on portable rigs just cannot work for me.

I have a GPCAMAR0130M on the polar axisand a GPCAMAR0130C on the guide camera aligned with the Olympus imaging camera and lens. I also use plate solve in Sharpcap using the guide camera. I take an image roughly where I think my DSO is then adjust the RA using the dial on the Star Adventurer. I have also fitted a graduated head to the fine tuning head and adjust the dec although this is not necessary after the first time of setting dec.

My only time outside is to set polar align and adjust in RA & Dec for target and of course when the battery needs changing.
            John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Here is mine indoors. No mount power and control cables or camera USB cables are attached. Cable management is a real challenge. I can replace the ZWO camera and Filter Wheel with my Oly if I want.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Newtonian scope
                by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Simples!!

The duck in the pond has nothing to do with star gazing!
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Star Identification

I want to identify some stars from a stacked photo I made recently. Using Stellarium, I can some of the idents, but cannot manage too far from the obvious stars. I thought I read here on thread about software or a website that will help. I have looked through this thread with no luck...……..

I have inverted the image to save ink when printing. The view is looking south at 11:30pm last night. Stripes are thin cloud....…….
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                    Star Identification

If you upload your image to this site it will plate solve it for you.

http://nova.astrometry.net/upload

When solved there is a link that will take you to the World Wide Web Telescope and show you exactly where it is.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Orion Nebula

Not in the masterclass, but taken with the 40-150mm at full blast. 15 frames at 15 seconds each. I should have increased the ISO, but forgot..

Also thought I had nailed the focus, but they are still blobby...…….(FFS.)

And what are the black bobs, maybe dust on the sensor??????????? Ain't easy is it...……….
                        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I can't see any black blobs?

You do get dust bunnies, they are little specks of dust that stick to your lens, or even a finger print!

Doing long exposure astro shots its useful to take what are called flats as well as the actual target before you stack in something like Deep Sky Stacker. It's basically a picture of a plain white background with your camera set to Auto. Any dark areas can then be accounted for in the stacked image.

Very nice image though. Who told you astro was easy?
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Even simpler setup...……………...

Taken with TG-5 and its flash. Not quite achieved focus in very dark conditions...…………..:-(
                            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Waxing Moon 16.5% tonight...

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Mark what is that gizmo between your tripod and your camera? is it some type of tracker?
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                                X