Shoes Sir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes Sir

Having now got round to some processing of my USA trip, I took these whilst out with the 7-14 lens. Can't decide if I like the B&W or Colour best. Also its lost a bit of detail in processing and I can't understand why....using affinity which when I resize is when it appears to loose it.

Cheers

Peter
    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Re: Shoes Sir

I assume you resharpen after the resize as per the norm?
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Comment

Oooohh, might have missed that particular section!! Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers

Peter
      OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
      I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Comment

I like the BW one, but it could do with a little local lightening of the shoe-cleaner's stand. (Mind you, I'm having a black and white period at the moment.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
          I assume you resharpen after the resize as per the norm?
          Hmm I don't do that, so maybe that is why my posted shots look softer than the originals.
          How do you recommend the post resize sharpening is done and how much?
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
            Hmm I don't do that, so maybe that is why my posted shots look softer than the originals.
            How do you recommend the post resize sharpening is done and how much?
            If you are using Affinity, all you need do is apply Filters-Sharpening-Clarity after resizing. I use about 9-12 pixels, but you can move the slider to see what looks best. It also works even if you have already used Clarity prior to resizing.

This is what I would do:

[IMG][/IMG]

Bit rough and ready, but this is Clarity at 10.7 pixels. I also lightened the shoe shine a little locally. Hope this helps.

Comment

That's better Keith, but still nowhere near as sharp as the RAW file. I'll try the JPEG and see if that's better...

Peter

Comment

I don't have Affinity Keith I tend to just use Picasa for quick tweaks and crops for posting and Photoshop (badly) when I want to spend a bit more time on a shot for printing. In both cases I may sharpen an image if needed before reducing the file size for posting as the last operation. Sounds like you are suggesting I should shrink the files first?

Comment

The amount of sharpening recommended is dependent on the final size of the image and how large a reduction is being done from the original raw file. It is better to do sharpening after resizing not before. Also there is no one correct setting as its image content dependent.

and ....

just to make it more complicated you need to do different amounts of sharpening depending if the final destination is for Web or for Print.

So lots to go wrong.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

OK Dave thanks, so not simple then. That's life I guess. Any suggestions on were to start reading?

Comment

OK Dave thanks, so not simple then. That's life I guess. Any suggestions on were to start reading?
                      If you use Photoshop then this YouTube clip may be of interest. I use these free actions a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OIxgSZV7lPY

or more detailed explanation and techniques here

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/24/3-l...ing-photoshop/

This guy is excellent
                      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOeZD8ZKCjQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOeZD8ZKCjQ[/ame]
                      Last edited by wornish; 15th October 2017, 02:24 PM. Reason: added 3rd link
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I don't have Affinity Keith I tend to just use Picasa for quick tweaks and crops for posting and Photoshop (badly) when I want to spend a bit more time on a shot for printing. In both cases I may sharpen an image if needed before reducing the file size for posting as the last operation. Sounds like you are suggesting I should shrink the files first?
                        Oh, you said: using affinity which when I resize is when it appears to loose it. Spell checker changed what you wrote, I guess?

If you have Photoshop Elements, working on the JPG, you can do Auto Sharpen after resizing, then Save For Web. That usually works well. And with all due respect for Dave, reading about it will only give you so much; you need to learn by doing; as long as you keep a second copy to work on, so you don't lose the original, experiment, and find what works for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X