The Battle of Nantwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Nantwich

Annual re-enactment of the Battle of Nantwich in the First English Civil War, between the Parliamentarians and Royalists on 25 January 1644. It marked the end of the long and painful siege of the town by the Royalists. The Royalists lost control of Cheshire and were on a downward slope thereafter.

I tried Pro Capture for the first time in anger and managed to get a cannon at the right time. Needs more practice!

EM-1 with 12-100 and EM-1 Mkii with 40-150

Battle of Nantwich - 28 January 2017
    by Steve Hallam, on Flickr

Yes, that's a girl in charge of the cannon! They all seem to have a great time.
    Steve
    My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Re: The Battle of Nantwich

Wonderful shots Steve.

Comment

Are you trying to say Canons are for girls
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

The person firing the powder in no.5 appears to be standing behind the cannon. If so, he/she's likely to be vulnerable to the recoil. Even in the 17th century, artillery manuals said 'stand to the side'!

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
          The person firing the powder in no.5 appears to be standing behind the cannon. If so, he/she's likely to be vulnerable to the recoil. Even in the 17th century, artillery manuals said 'stand to the side'!

Andrew
          From memory he wasn't. I think it's the camera angle. They do seem very safety conscious!

All jolly good fun for the participants and spectators. I think the pubs of Nantwich did well that night
          Steve

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Slightly embarrassing, my home town and I never photographed it.

As for the pubs of Nantwich, there's a lot less than there used to be. I think there was around 60 in the 70's.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Excellent. Somehow the colours in the first one seem slightly less vibrant than in the others. Was this due to the light or the processing?
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

These reenactments always make me smile!

I reality, the clothes would have been much shabbier, torn and caked with dirt. The colours would have been drabber and less vibrant. The people would also have looked far less healthy, with signs of hunger, disease and injury.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                  Excellent. Somehow the colours in the first one seem slightly less vibrant than in the others. Was this due to the light or the processing?
                  I think it's a bit of both. The processing on this one is definitely below par. I'm not sure I posted the right version
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post

I reality, the clothes would have been much shabbier, torn and caked with dirt. The colours would have been drabber and less vibrant. The people would also have looked far less healthy, with signs of hunger, disease and injury.

Jim
                    And that's on a good day.
                    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
                      Absolutely - and is this not true of every TV period drama. The current Taboo might be an exception. Good teeth in particular, were never part of life.

Comment

Working...
                      X