Brocken Spectre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brocken Spectre

I was up the hills a few days ago and was thrilled to see this rare meteorological phenomenon. It is my shadow in the center of the brocken specter.

Ian C.

Re: Brocken Spectre

Remarkable - a great keeper

Comment

Lucky! I've looked out for the phenomena, but never seen it. Here's a good site with an explanation of the Broken Spectre and lots of other interesting atmospheric effects:

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/globrock.htm

It's well worth browsing the site!

Jim

Comment

What an interesting image, and a really interesting site.
        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Ah, I once saw this phenonemon on the Helvellyn range in the Lake District, many years ago. It was during a week of temperature inversions where the cloud settled in the valleys and we broke through it at around 2000 feet to spend magical days walking the tops above a sea of cloud but under a clear blue sky with warm sunshine. Back at the campsite on the 3rd day we overheard someone bemoaning the thick fog that had prevented them from going hillwalking so far that week - if only they knew!

I do have a picture myself, but won't bother posting it as yours is much better.

It's quite a rare experience and one you'll always remember. Hope you're lucky enough to see another one!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Lucky you, not just to have seen it but to be able to record it as well.I always wanted to see that but despite many trips including camping at Sty head and Sprinkling Tarn I was never lucky enough.

Comment

That's brilliant

A definate once in a lifetime (unless your very very lucky) shot to keep and remember.
              I read the description on the website that Jim posted, very interesting.

Comment

Thanks for all your kind comments. I have seen a broken spectre once before, many years ago, but it wasn't anything like as clear as this and was gone in a few seconds.

Ian C.

Comment

Great pic defiantly one to keep
                  Cheers

Mick

Petroleums Hey
                  retired oil boiler

Comment

The 'rainbow' halo is called a 'glory' (nice name!) and is centred on the camera viewpoint. I guess that if you took the shot at (say) waist-level, then the glory would then be centred on your waist. I must remember to try it if I see a spectre!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X