Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Astro Photos

Had another go at Andromeda last night.
    Couldn't get tracking working so only took 1 min Lights. Managed to get darks, bias and flats as well. Stacked and processed in pixinsight.

EM5mk2 + skywatcher scope - focal length 550 aperture 100

[IMG][/IMG]
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Nice How does Astro Art render ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
      chris
      shetland

Comment

WOW! That's an absolute 'close-up' stonker of a shot which gives the impression you could just reach out and touch it. The colours you've managed really make it a stand out item.

Thanks for sharing.
        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Great image Dave how many lights did you stack?
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
            Great image Dave how many lights did you stack?
            16 x 1 min lights
            3 x 1 min darks
            30 x bias
            22 x flats

Despite trying for 1.5 hours I could not get tracking to work properly so decided to restrict the lights to 1 min.

There is always something to make it difficult. In the end I had to stop because of dew. It has made a big difference using a scope vs a lens though; its not as flexible because the focal length and aperture are fixed, but focussing is so much easier with the 10-1 fine control.
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have been giving PixInsight a look and have tried its stacking process. It takes considerably longer than DSS 15mins v 2-3hrs

So earlier this year I took 87 frames (1min ISO400 150mm f2.8) of the Heart Nebula IC1805. When stacked in DSS and processed in StarTools not much came out.

I have now stacked only the light frames (did not take calibration frames) in PixInsight and processed the stacked file in StarTools with no colour correction. I have removed the stars using Heal in ST for effect.

The result:
              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Thats the first time I have seen a nebula taken with an OM-D camera, I wasn't sure if it would be possible to capture one. It is a bit grainy but at least its there ! Can you share a version with stars still visible?

I know going through all the separate pre processing steps in PI is a real pain and it takes up a lot of disk space keeping each stages files, but if done right they do make a difference, I think. There is a Batch PreProcessing script which does automate most of the steps but misses some out, not tried it yet.

I have the demo version of Star Tools but I am really struggling to get anything to work for my shots. Can you point me at a good tutorial. For example when I open the pixinsight stacked (integrated) version of my andromeda shots it appears completely blown out. But when I view it in pixinsight its fine ?
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Here is the version with the stars:

I tried the PI batch calibration and it errored so went back to the long winded way which does help to explain what you are doing.

The best tutorial I have found for StarTools is this one its 2hrs 20 min long but I think worth it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqm4mB2TKN0"]LIVE:Startools by Ivo Jager - YouTube[/ame]

and this link shows the evaluation process.

http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1009

I have found to leave all sliders at deault helps to start with.

My process is load fits as linear and is white balanced (if from DSS), AutoDev set ignore fine detail to about 3pixels, Crop (either centre galaxy and or to get rid stacking alignment errors), Bin (50%), Wipe (grad or vin with autodev yes) using dark anom if there are blue spots, Autodev (accepting redo stretch) box ROR to get darker background or cancel and ust use Dev and the home button. Decon auto star mask radius to about 3 pixels, Contrast defaults, Sharp defaults, Life lessismore, Colour use RGB and sliders to get rid of the green, Track, Save.
                  John

Comment

Here is the version with the stars:
                    Wow! Thats a lot of stars.

Thanks for the StarTools link I have started to watch this before and will give it another go.

I will try your settings on my andromeda stacked shot.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Been away a while so only just catching up, stunning shots really inspiring guys. I really must have a go.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                        Been away a while so only just catching up, stunning shots really inspiring guys. I really must have a go.
                        Go out and give it a try. Now is a great time of year to get started.
                        Weather permitting.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have found to leave all sliders at deault helps to start with.

My process is load fits as linear and is white balanced (if from DSS), AutoDev set ignore fine detail to about 3pixels, Crop (either centre galaxy and or to get rid stacking alignment errors), Bin (50%), Wipe (grad or vin with autodev yes) using dark anom if there are blue spots, Autodev (accepting redo stretch) box ROR to get darker background or cancel and ust use Dev and the home button. Decon auto star mask radius to about 3 pixels, Contrast defaults, Sharp defaults, Life lessismore, Colour use RGB and sliders to get rid of the green, Track, Save.
                          I reprocessed the basic Pixinsight stacked fits file in Star Tools using your steps
                          I am really pleased with the result it is certainly better than the version I did all the way in PI.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Okay...now see what Astro Art demo can do for you...and if you really want to go the whole hog, DSS into PS
                            chris
                            shetland

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                              Okay...now see what Astro Art demo can do for you...and if you really want to go the whole hog, DSS into PS
                              OK thats next. Have not stacked the shots in DSS so would start from the same file as the others to get a true comparison.

As the most experienced user of Astro Art on here could you share your recommended workflow steps please, starting from a stacked shot?

It will save me floundering around trying to get the best result.
                              Last edited by wornish; 25th October 2016, 12:10 PM. Reason: added a request
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                                I reprocessed the basic Pixinsight stacked fits file in Star Tools using your steps
                                I am really pleased with the result it is certainly better than the version I did all the way in PI.

That's an impressive image. You can reduce the green in the core by using the color module hit the Max RGB button and increase the green bias until all the green has gone in the core then check with normal. Will need to start from beginning to do this.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X