X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal flowers, trees, plants and fungi thread

Tiny Mystery Fungus Sphere on Twig

When I was photographing some fungi and slime moulds on twigs I noticed some spherical, greyish, scale-covered bodies. I retained the twigs and waited for these to develop and reveal their identity. For many days they retained their spherical shape, about 1mm diameter. Then they started to grow, with a stalk becoming invisible below, they were tiny mushrooms, becoming white as they grew. To date, they are no more than about 4mm high and with caps of three millimetre diameter.

I believe these to be a species of Marasmius, many species of which are tiny and with widely-spaced gills.

These were shot with two setups on my EM-1. My usual Schneider HM 40, reversed on a x 1.5 Kiron TC, gives a FOV 6mm wide. A few more tubes behind it takes that to 3mm wide. My usual Kiron 105, at maximum magnification gives ca 17mm wide, narrowed to ca 12mm via a x1.5 TC. All were at f16 and lit by triple TTL RC flash in camera manual mode. Hand-held, with support from the substrate.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Harold, you're making me feel guilty about not using my OM 38mm and the Telescopic Extension Tube. I keep thinking I should make use of it but never seem to find the time.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Those shots are stunning Harold.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Small Mushroom on Wood, Showing Mycelium

It is not unusual to see some mycelium on the base of a mushroom. For those growing in the ground this is usually only after the mushroom has been dug up. It is easier to see this on those feeding on wood and this one is an unusually good example. The stereo is crosseye.

Olympus EM-1, Kiron 105mm, probably f16, twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
            Those shots are stunning Harold.
            Thanks, Alf.

I am currently documenting another species, of similar size, which starts out looking like a ball of cotton wool.

Macro is a tool for seeing what these really are.

Harold

Comment

Teed-Up Myxomycete Physarum.

Looking like so many golf balls, I found this colony of the slime mould yesterday and the bark of a well-rotted fallen Oak twig. It looks rather like Didymium squamulosum, which is said to be a common species. Images of that species show the white structures to be rather fluffier but that may be due to the stage of maturity. (Edit: I now believe this to be a Physarum species, which explains why the white structures in the capsule did not look quite right for any Didymium).

EM-1, Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro or reversed HM40 plus x1.5 TC and additional tubes, triple TTL flash. Smallest FOV 3mm wide.

Harold

Comment

I took some more shots this morning, with the benefit of sunlight on the subject to aid focusing.

I had hoped to get more definition on the white squiggles but they are an internal mineral material and I don't thnk sharp edges exist.

Harold

Comment

Another Resupinatus applicatus and a Closer Look

My first encounter with this species was in a local wood. Although I had the correct lens with me to take high magnifications shots the specimen was a bit chewed (slugs?) and such close work need good lighting and plenty of time. So I just uploaded some shots of the whole colony.

Yesterday morning, I was doing my usual foray around the garden, hoping to spot any interesting slime moulds or fungi ahead of the forecast severe frost (which we are now experiencing). I picked up a stick next to our compost heaps, not a place where I retain material of interest, and was surprised to see these grey, inverted gill fungi.

I immediately thought of that as the Resupinatus I found in Great Copse. From memory, that was rather larger. On checking, I find that not to be the case, the largest garden one being ca 2.5mm across. The new find was on some dry twig (I don't know what species), most of the bark gone, lying on leaf litter-rich soil.

The first shot was a try-out of a x2 Olympus 4/3 TC behind the 50mm f2 at f9 (effective) and a little below closest working distance. The other are with my usual reversed HM40 setup at f11 nominal,the FOV 6mm wide. All shot with triple TTL flash and hand-held.

The inverted gills make in situ photography of gill detail possible which would not be with typical gill fungi i.e. mushrooms. The tiny spots are less likely to be spored that the basidia, tiny projections, which bear them. I also got a side view, showing the lack of a stem.

All were with EM-1 in manual mode. No significant cropping has been done.

Harold

Comment

Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 12.5mm f2.5: Shorter Extension

This time, I used only the A7R full frame so there is no crop factor to complicate aperture/DOF. I found a way of temporarily mounting the lens ca 10mm closer to the sensor than in the previous experiment, 35mm rather than 45mm. This would get the lens closer to its design registration distance, which I believe to be a bit shorter than for NEX lenses. This gave a FOV ca 10mm wide (previously 8mm).

Unlike the previous session, I had bright sunlight to help with framing and focusing. I wanted to use f11 but this gave no images with useful DOF. So I took some at f16. Even with this, the shots of the pink, candyfloss-like Arcyria were mostly OOF.

This image is of a rather concave surface with crowded Trichia spore sacs on it. Those nearest the lens have matured, split open and expanded, showing fine detail. I took two non-consecutive shots which make a reasonable crosseye stereo pair (slightly cropped at right side).

For those who would say "why bother to do this with an old, legacy film lens" I say "why not?". I suspect it is a 16mm film lens.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                      Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 12.5cm f2.5: Shorter Extension

For those who would say "why bother to do this with an old, legacy film lens" I say "why not?". I suspect it is a 16mm film lens.

Harold

Harold

I agree what you use is not important. It is down to the image. In this case it is a lovely image. I suspect it would have been so with a number of lenses. But 'so what?'.

Sorry I have not been posting here very much but this is the time of year when the Canon and long lens is used almost exclusively. And birds become more interesting. So on both counts I stick to looking quietly. But felt this was well worth a comment.

Peter
                      Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                        Harold

I agree what you use is not important. It is down to the image. In this case it is a lovely image. I suspect it would have been so with a number of lenses. But 'so what?'.

Sorry I have not been posting here very much but this is the time of year when the Canon and long lens is used almost exclusively. And birds become more interesting. So on both counts I stick to looking quietly. But felt this was well worth a comment.

Peter
                        Thanks for taking the time, Peter.

I hope this cold weather does not shorten your long lens.

As has been pointed out to me elsewhere, I have muddled the focal length with that of another macro lens. This one is 12.5mm not 12.5cm.

Harold

Comment

Here is a little one I found about 2mm high maybe less

Small fungi by Alf Branch, on Flickr
                          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                            Here is a little one I found about 2mm high maybe less
                            Alf,

It looks more like exuded resin than fungus but little would surprise me.

Harold

Comment

Alf,

Harold
                              That's possible I suppose

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Alf,

Harold
                                If you ignore the scale it makes me think of an alien Halloween mask.
                                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Working...
                                X