Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    Alf,

Nice picture. A dorsal view would have been helpful. However, I think it is a Digger Wasp, maybe Crabro cribarius.

Harold
    I have more shots but only had time to process and post this before going to work.
    I will post more including a dorsal shot (I had to think about that) when I get time.
    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Huge Ichneumonid Wasp with Very Long Ovipositor.

I thought this was a Gasterupteron jaculator in wasp family Gasteruptiidae, which is adjacent to Ichneumonidae. They are parasitoids of stem-nesting bees.

However, it lacks the distinct white band near the tip of the ovipositior. This one departed from the norm for that species by alighting briefly on the exposed, sunlight Pussy Willow trunk, rather than in shade. The shape and colouring of the abdomen is also different from that of G. jaculator.

This is an ichneumonid wasp. It may be Rhyssella approximator syn. S. bellator, and S. curvipes, which is a parasitoid of Wood Wasps. Unusually, I shot these images by daylight exposure, rarely indeed for a stereo pair. This is one of the largest British ichneumonids.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, Aperture Priority, 1/125 ISO 800, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
        I have more shots but only had time to process and post this before going to work.
        I will post more including a dorsal shot (I had to think about that) when I get time.
        Alf,

That's good news. There are a lot of wasps and of bees (e.g Nomada) with that general appearance.

Harold

Comment

Scorpionfly Male(s): Panorpa germanica?

After posting images of the male with its rich yellow colouring, setting off the black markings, I was surprised to find another, on the very next morning, on the same blackcurrant bushes. It seemed smaller than the one of the previous day but that may have been an illusion.

I took three shots before it flew away. On reviewing the images in the camera, I was horrified to see that I had apparently over-exposed so severely that the yellow colour was now white. The stereo pair did not look like they would work either.

When I transferred the image to my PC I found that there was some overexposure but that this individual had white where the other was yellow. The stereo pair was functional too. These give the first two images here and the crosseye stereo.

On the third day I again found a male with white ground colour. Again, I had only a few seconds to shoot. The image is slightly soft but the structure of the male genitalia (last image), if I understand correctly, indicates that it is P. germanica. I noted that they were photographed with a FOV ca 25mm wide, making the length of the insect (from the uncropped RAW image) around 11mm, which is towards the small end of the 10-15mm range. These are the third and fourth images.

EM-1, Kiron 105m, f16 ISO 800, twin RC TTL flash, hand-held.

My suspicions that these insects, possibly to species, are resident in my garden seem to be confirmed.

Harold

Comment

Alf,

Nice picture. A dorsal view would have been helpful. However, I think it is a Digger Wasp, maybe Crabro cribarius.

Harold
            It is a male Ectemnius species I am told by Dave_W_1971 on Flickr possibly E. cavifrons the knobbly antennae are the clue to genus & gender. The knobbles are different on each species.

Here are a couple more shots

Wasp 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wasp 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
            OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

• The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I shot this the other day on my bin it is about 2mm long but I do not know what it is.

Unkown insect by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Unkown insect 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Both are 4 shot stacks handheld using a 25mm tube and Raynox 250 on my Sigma 105 and stil cropped heavily.

Comment

I shot this the other day on my bin it is about 2mm long but I do not know what it is.
                  Alf,

It's a Booklouse aka Barkfly (Psocoptera) with wing buds.

Harold

Comment

• The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Alf,

It's a Booklouse aka Barkfly (Psocoptera) with wing buds.

Harold
                      A barkfly nymph I am told
                      but which of this lot I do not know I have shot barkflies several times

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/gallery.aspx

I would say that Snipe fly is after a drink. I watched several downlooker snipe flies drinking on a damp morning some of them vibrated thier legs on the leaf to bring the droplets together then drank.

Here is one from a while ago having a drink you can see where is cleared the drops.

Downlooker-snipe-fly-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Comment

Wool-carder (Mason) Bee Anthidium manicatum.

This bee was resting on a horizontal leaf, of a seedling Butterfly Bush, Buddleia, in my garden. It was very tolerant of me walking around it to take these images. I think it is a female.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthidium_manicatum

Olympus EM-1.Kiron 105mm f16, twin TTL flash.

Harold

Comment

A barkfly nymph I am told
                          but which of this lot I do not know I have shot barkflies several times

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/gallery.aspx

I would say that Snipe fly is after a drink. I watched several downlooker snipe flies drinking on a damp morning some of them vibrated thier legs on the leaf to bring the droplets together then drank.

Here is one from a while ago having a drink you can see where is cleared the drops.
                          Alf,

Good luck with the Barkflies. I have never attempted to get them even to family.

The Snipefly must have been eating or drinking but the leaf looked dry at the time and does in the images.

Harold

Comment

I posted these images of a Banded Demoiselle in the main forum, I thought they should be here also.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comment

The sunlight wasn't as favourable as some, and the thing was too far away to do owt but go telephoto...

So here's a dragonfly of some sort, having used the 300+1.4

This is un-cropped, I'd normally tidy off the rose stem a bit... I was interested that the Lightroom de-haze function made the background colours a bit more vibrant, they were a lot more muted!

Hmmmm.... it is better cropped!

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Wasp with Spider Prey.

I spotted a brownish blob on the top of a leaf of a blackcurrant bush. It looked like the body of a spider but I could see no legs.

Then a black wasp appeared, clearly in attendance of the blob. I realised that the wasp was a predator which had immobilised to spider by biting off its legs. The wasp climbed over the spider several times and then started carrying it from leaf to leaf, with a rapid but jerky run. Eventually, it flew off, carrying the spider.

Although the lens was set at f16, the stop-down ring had opened this up for the initial shots (last ones posted). Some of the images needed more processing that usual to show the details. On image shows mainly the wing venation.

I believe the wasp to be a sphecid (s. lato).

EM-1, Kiron 105 f16, twin TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                                X