Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Originally posted by pandora View Post
    Cracker shots all.

I come late to the conversation with a Blue Damsel.

E-3 + SWD 50-200mm
    Better late than never Mark.

More pics of Aussie Dragonflies and Damselflies please, I'd love to see some of the species you have there.

Dave

Comment

A good call Alf, it turns out to be a Female Osmia bicornis. I'd got some shots of the males earlier in the month but they looked quite different

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
        A good call Alf, it turns out to be a Female Osmia bicornis. I'd got some shots of the males earlier in the month but they looked quite different
        We had them las year in the bee hotel but I think they were parasited as the nest tubes only have small holes on the front

Red-mason-bee by Alf Branch, on Flickr
        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Lily Beetle: The Missing Images: Egg-Laying

I recently posted some images of mating Lilly Beetles. I also posted some of eggs which, there being no other obvious candidates, I assumed were of this beetle.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1432040

Today I not only verified this but caught some females either having just laid such eggs or in the process of doing so

The images are posted with the beetles in the orientation they had in life, i.e. inverted, underneath the leaves. If you prefer them the other way up, you will have to undergo contortions of your body much like I had to make to get these images. Enjoy!

The first four images show the progress of laying the last egg of the batch. This took many minutes. You can see it inside the body of the beetle, in the ovipositor. I went round to the other side of the beetle for the fourth image.

The final image is one I shot earlier in the day, of a female just after she had finished laying her eggs. At the time, I thought that was the best I was going to get. I detached the leaf and the beetle started wandering away from the eggs so I prodded her gently to get her into the position shown.

EM-1 (Manual Mode), Kiron 105mm at f16, 1/250, ISO 400, twin off-camera TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            Lily Beetle: The Missing Images: Egg-Laying

I recently posted some images of mating Lilly Beetles. I also posted some of eggs which, there being no other obvious candidates, I assumed were of this beetle.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1432040

Today I not only verified this but caught some females either having just laid such eggs or in the process of doing so

The images are posted with the beetles in the orientation they had in life, i.e. inverted, underneath the leaves. If you prefer them the other way up, you will have to undergo contortions of your body much like I had to make to get these images. Enjoy!

The first four images show the progress of laying the last egg of the batch. This took many minutes. You can see it inside the body of the beetle, in the ovipositor. I went round to the other side of the beetle for the fourth image.
            Harold, these are very nice and bring us a step closer to the larvae.

I am checking but still cannot see on my plants yet. I have seen them in previous years. they eat and live from within their own faeces. Which is about the way I regard them.

So I hope to see one of us posting the illusive c**p shot soon. My money is on you.
            Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Peter,

I spent some time, last year, photographing the larvae. I have images of what resemble tiny, shiny, wet worm casts, with few discernible features. I could see no point in posting them.

Harold

Comment

Hawthorn Shieldbug Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale.

I was looking for macro subjects in the garden when I spotted this one amongst leaves on a low branch of a hawthorn tree.

EM-1 (Manual Mode), Kiron 105mm 1/200 f16 ISO 800 (ideally should have bee 400), twin TTL RC flash., hand-held

Harold

Comment

• Some id's needed!

Went for a walk with my E1 and 40-150 lens and snapped a couple of random bugs while out...

Any idea what they are?

This flew over while I was going about my other photography, as did the French version of the Red Arrows (I live a few miles from Duxford and there's a big airshow this weekend) The original was barely viewable but it cleaned up remarkably well!

The white spots are flies!

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

• Re: Some id's needed!

[QUOTE=Walti;387139]Went for a walk with my E1 and 40-150 lens and snapped a couple of random bugs while out...

Any idea what they are?/QUOTE]

The first is probably a Robber Fly but the angle is not helpful

The beetles in the flower are too large for pollen beetles. I don't know what they are.

The green beetle is a female Oedemera noblis.

Harold

Comment

The first is probably a Robber Fly but the angle is not helpful

Harold
                      Does this help? (I think it's the same angle from the other side really!)

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                        Better. I'm not sure but It looks more like a Stilleto Fly (next to Robber Flies in my book). I can't match it to any images so it might be an uncommon species.

Harold

Comment

Better. I'm not sure but It looks more like a Stilleto Fly (next to Robber Flies in my book). I can't match it to any images so it might be an uncommon species.

Harold
                          Last one....

Just sat down and Post processed it... came out better than I thought! Just noticed why it's not in your book, it's five legged, so not an insect!

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post

That is a Marsh snipe fly

Harold
                            Quite common I find as is the downlooker snipe fly which I have shot a few times.
                            OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Here are a couple from yesterday where I sa a lot of this and managed to shot many of them

A green nettle weevil

Green Nettle weevil by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I think this is a sawfly but not sure which

Sawfly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                                That is a Marsh snipe fly
                                It certainly is. I am very hesitant about these long-legged flies.

Unfortunately, our very parched garden urgently needed watering, so I couldn't get back to this earlier.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                                X