This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Sorry to disagree Harold but Ron is correct it is a male Migrant Hawker Nice stopped action Ron

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    A new to me: Moorland/Common/Sedge Hawker Male.

That distinct black T on the face, the lateral yellow stripes on the thorax and the narrow yellow antehumeral (dorsal thorax) stripes clinch it.

Harold

The key differences are the colour of the Costa (the leading vein to the wing) - yellow in the Common Hawker and brown in the Migrant Hawker. And the yellow triangle at the base of the abdomen.

Here is a closer shot of mine of a Migrant with the yellow (hour-glass shaped) triangle very visible. You can see that in Ron's in flight shot.

I don't have a Common to hand to show. But you can see the yellow costa and the very different abdomen markings on the BDS shot

here https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/s...common-hawker/

The Common is a bog/acid heath dragonfly so Ron will know the very few sites in East Anglia where he would stand a chance to see one. The Migrant Hawker is far more common in East Anglia and across Southern UK.
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Speckled Bush Cricket Female

With cooler autumn temperatures, it seems that this cricket was sunning itself on the south-facing brick wall of our house.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/30 or 1/40 at f11 ISO 800, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
          Squadron ready for take off.
          Males getting on together surprisingly well.

Harold

Comment

Males getting on together surprisingly well.

Harold
            Literally hundreds of 'em around today. Last chance to do it I guess....
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
              Literally hundreds of 'em around today. Last chance to do it I guess....
              We have had a male Southern Hawker patrolling our garden, at about head height, each afternoon recently. It sometimes flies very close to my face.

Harold

Comment

Cellar spider Pholcus phalangioides

These spiders, about the same size as house spiders, are said to have reached the British Isles in consignments of wine. This was neither in a wine cellar nor in any kind of cellar but in a bin (wine joke). It was upside down under the lid of a garden compost bin.

These spiders do not like daylight or air movement and this one was subjected to both. So it was quite a difficult session.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/13 to 1/40 at f11 ISO 800, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold

Comment

Grey Dagger Moth Caterpillar

I was surprised to see this. Not only was it late in the season but I found it in our kitchen and, most surprising of all, it was on my hand.

We had experienced days and nights of almost continuous rain. I was helping to prepare the evening meal when was tempted by the arrival of early evening sunshine. For the first time in days, I went out without a coat but wearing a thin jumper. I took a brief walk around the garden, taking a look at places where I find macro subjects. Not wearing a coat, I avoided contact with the dripping wet foliage.

Ten minutes or so later, I felt a tickle on the back of my hand and looked down to see the caterpillar crawling from my sleeve.

I took it outside and placed on the nearest leaves and took some photos then I put it down amongst mixed vegetation. I had to put it in the shade to shelter it from a gusty breeze.

The last image shows it being cryptic next to a shrunken blackberry.

Sometimes the orange lateral marks are red and/or the dorsal stripe is yellow.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, the first 1/25 at f9 then 1/50 at f7.1 ISO 800, hand-held.

Harold

Comment

Some recently processed shots form Summer. I have such a backlog it is impossible to catch up.

An Emerald Damselfly in the morning

Emerald damselfly 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Emerald damselfly 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A meadow brown

Medow brown by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A moth larvae that may have left home possibly a Coleophoridae SP

Moth larvae by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A peacock caterpillar

Peacock caterpillar by Alf Branch, on Flick
                    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

A little money spider trying look big because of my attention

Trying to look big by Alf Branch, on Flickr

An unknown wasp but I am thinking maybe ancistrocerus scoticus

Unknown wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A common sexton beetle with passenger

Common sexton beetle by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A fly infected with fungus

Fungal attack by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A micro moth

Micro moth by Alf Branch, on Flickr
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

[QUOTE=alfbranch;492820]Some recently processed shots form Summer. I have such a backlog it is impossible to catch up.

An Emerald Damselfly in the morning

A very happy little chap - great shot.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Comma Butterfly

These images were left, unsorted from July last year.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/160 at f8 ISO 400, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

Comment

Some more backlog shots

Nettle weevils by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Micro moth by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Barkfly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Comment

Alf,

I think your micro is a Plain Gold Micropterix calthella.

Harold

Comment

Alf,

I think your micro is a Plain Gold Micropterix calthella.

Harold
                                Thanks for the info Harold

Comment

Working...
                                X