This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Bird Photography Thread

Nice shot there Ron, I like the balance and its a darn cute little one. Very nice to see.

Yeah Dave, Darth alright. Ha That Oly 350 F/2.8 was / is an incredible lens. Always wanted one.

A few from the E-M10 and Canon lenses again.

Hunger management. Cormorants.

Yeah I saw him, he went that way

Get out of the way will ya. Canada Geese.

Stilts coming through

Almost touch down with a Stilt.

White faced Heron blasting though.

Just cruising with another Cormorant.

Catch it with a Kingfisher and crab

All the best folks.

Danny.

Comment

Brilliant set Danny.

Comment

Adult male house sparrow.

I've now decided that when I go to RSPB reserves in future I'm only packing binos and scope.
        I never seem to be able to capture any decent variety of bird shots, it must be just me as others seem get good pictures.
        Was at Pullborough yesterday and all I saw all day close enough to get a shot was this "sparrer" waiting for crumbs in the outdoor eating area.
        Not moaning, honest

Comment

I posted a few North American Sparrows early in this thread and a couple more later. Here's another species, White-crowned Sparrow. They breed in the far north so are a spring and autumn species for us. First an adult, one of my favourite of the North American Sparrows.

Next an immature, it will only be a couple of months old. I normally wouldn't post a shot with an ugly foreground and background but it's an interesting bird. It's already travelled hundreds of miles and could move as far south as Mexico for the winter.

It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Great shots in this thread.

David M

Long way back but I have to ask

Why were the turkeys crossing the road?
            Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by mack100 View Post
              I've now decided that when I go to RSPB reserves in future I'm only packing binos and scope.
              I never seem to be able to capture any decent variety of bird shots, it must be just me as others seem get good pictures.
              Was at Pullborough yesterday and all I saw all day close enough to get a shot was this "sparrer" waiting for crumbs in the outdoor eating area.
              Not moaning, honest
              I like your 'sparrer' Laurence. Very nice detail and the feathers look natural and not over sharpened. More often than not I return from a walk without having seen anything to make me take my camera out of its case. I still keep hoping that something good will turn up and as long as I have enjoyed my walk I am not too disappointed. Keep looking.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                Great shots in this thread.

David M

Long way back but I have to ask

Why were the turkeys crossing the road?
                To get to the field on the other side. I had to stop again a few days later coming home.

More seriously, Wild Turkeys very rarely fly. The only time I've seen them fly is to clear big snow banks in the winter and going to roost in trees. I've had to wait for flocks of 20 or 30 to cross a road. Once they start they don't stop and they don't rush.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

The landing Stilt is the stand out for me Danny.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Yet another Wheatear. This one was on a sports playing field which was surrounded by a wall with pierced concrete blocks on the top. I was able to poke my lens through the holes in the concrete and photograph the bird without spooking it, so it came quite close. I don't think resting the lens hood on the concrete has improved its second hand value though.

E-M1, 50-200 SWD and EC-14.

Ron

Comment

Was just stepping out for a smoke this morning and noticed this on the roof of a neighbours house. Managed to run upstairs (despite being a smoker) grab my camera (and change the lens) and get back to take a few shots before it flew off.

Heron Checking Out Emersons Green #1 by jonskids, on Flickr

Heron Checking Out Emersons Green #2 by jonskids, on Flickr

Heron Checking Out Emersons Green #3 by jonskids, on Flickr
                      My stuff on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonskids/

Comment

That Heron was on the neighbours roof again this morning, I watched the Hitchcock 'The Birds' film a couple of weeks ago. If I lived in their house I'd be concerned....

by jonskids, on Flickr
                        My stuff on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonskids/

Comment

It looks like an immature bird so it could be checking out the neighborhood garden ponds.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Any ideas for this? Spotted near Wolverton. May be suffering with Trichomonosis. Heavy crop with the 300f4+1.4x

Possible Twite?
                            Stuff from Cuba
                            More stuff from Cuba
                            It all started here

Comment

Have you any more shots? I'd go with Twite as a tentative ID.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Yellow conical bill, Linnet-like, I'd say a Twite.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                                X