Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

When black and white is blue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When black and white is blue

    First outing with the E-1, adding some pics to the Kingsland slideshow at http://www.blackandwhitehouses.co.uk.
    This one fascinated me as the blue [which could be a wood treatment] was shining strangely in the dim light.

    http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

  • #2
    Re: When black and white is blue

    The unusual blue ivy, blue slate roof in the background and the EXIF showing manual White Balance give pause for thought before commenting how blue the beams are... is there anything you'd like to add on those points, Pete, before we reply?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: When black and white is blue

      So I pimped it a bit, is that forbidden? The ivy is green unless my eyes have taken on a green shift, and the slate roof was and is blue. Trust you aren't claiming I made it up?
      http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: When black and white is blue

        Originally posted by PetePassword View Post
        Trust you aren't claiming I made it up?
        Of course not. On my monitor at least, the ivy has a very bluish tinge and I was wondering how much of the overall blue might be attributable to a bluish manual setting of the WB. I did not expect you to mind so much a request for clarification, and apologise for making it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: When black and white is blue

          There's certainly a blue tinge to the ivy on my monitor.
          Stephen

          A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

          Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

          My Flickr site

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: When black and white is blue

            Originally posted by Makonde View Post
            Of course not. On my monitor at least, the ivy has a very bluish tinge and I was wondering how much of the overall blue might be attributable to a bluish manual setting of the WB. I did not expect you to mind so much a request for clarification, and apologise for making it.
            Well it read a little like an accusation: 'is there anything you'd like to add on those points, Pete, before we reply?' but perhaps it's me being over sensitive?

            As for the blue, here's the original out of the camera, untouched by human hand, there's not a whole heap of difference.



            Sorry it's so big, but you can see that roof is very blue. And ivy is a very blue-green plant...
            http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: When black and white is blue

              How do I get the EXIF to display?
              http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: When black and white is blue

                Oh, I agree the beams have a blue/grey tinge even when the colour balance is adjusted to give green ivy and red bricks. Don't think it's paint - more likely an ageing effect of the wood.
                Stephen

                A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

                Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

                My Flickr site

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: When black and white is blue

                  Originally posted by PetePassword View Post
                  How do I get the EXIF to display?
                  If you use Firefox you can obtain a free EXIF viewer as an addon extension, then if you right click on an image you will see an additional menu or two, that then allows you to open a new window that shows the EXIF data.

                  Also Pete, it looks as though this is a White Balance issue, which can be corrected in Lightroom or a Photoshop equivalent. You can also do this in the software provided with your Olympus camera. Shout if you want me to have a go for you.

                  Oh, I don't think anyone was accusing you of anything Pete, it's these funny 'forum' things... they play weird tricks with what's written and often things people say can be interpreted in a few alternate ways. Makonde wasn't accusing you of anything, you can be sure of that. This is an exceptionally friendly forum, and I can honestly say that only rarely do we get any offensive comments made. If they do, we jump on them swiftly to avoid any confrontations.
                  John

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: When black and white is blue

                    Thanks John, it must have been me then. I'm more used to forums where people scrap over anything! Usually politics. Or maybe it's the male menopause.

                    I thought I must have adjusted it with a touch of blue, but don't understand the white balance thing. As I still have to find out how to download the firmware update, this might be the reason[?] I got as far as connecting the camera, and going to the firmware download page, then it told me I had to select PC in the menu, but I wasn't able to find it so gave up for then.

                    Never having had a camera with a mind of its own [and the lens too???!] I'm finding it difficult to take it all in. So I'm sticking to automatic until I get my bearings.
                    http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: When black and white is blue

                      Originally posted by PetePassword View Post
                      Thanks John, it must have been me then. I'm more used to forums where people scrap over anything! Usually politics. Or maybe it's the male menopause.

                      I thought I must have adjusted it with a touch of blue, but don't understand the white balance thing. As I still have to find out how to download the firmware update, this might be the reason[?] I got as far as connecting the camera, and going to the firmware download page, then it told me I had to select PC in the menu, but I wasn't able to find it so gave up for then.

                      Never having had a camera with a mind of its own [and the lens too???!] I'm finding it difficult to take it all in. So I'm sticking to automatic until I get my bearings.
                      Hey Pete

                      Thanks for the reply... glad you are happy with the outcome now.

                      As for the firmware update, this is pretty simple if you are using the Olympus Master software that was supplied with your camera. it's usually a question of starting up the software, connecting the camera and selecting update firmware from one of the menus if I remember correctly. It's a little while since we had a firmware update for the E-3 or any of my lenses so I might be slightly wrong here. Maybe someone else can advise please?

                      As for using software to amend images, I would suggest you have a look at downloading the evaluation (30 days I think) copy of Adobe Lightroom 2.1 - it really is a fantastic application for photographers. It allows you to file and catalogue all your images, with keywords etc, and to make adjustments to the images such as sharpness, exposure, contrast, white balance etc, all very easily. Have a look at the Adobe site where you can download the copy for 30 days.
                      John

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: When black and white is blue

                        Hey Pete

                        Here's my very quick attempt at auto White Balance correction applied by importing the image into Lightroom and using that to correct.

                        John

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: When black and white is blue

                          I liked it when it was blue it showed that it was dark and freaky, good shot.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: When black and white is blue

                            ^ Girls eh... who'd have them?
                            John

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: When black and white is blue

                              Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                              Hey Pete

                              Here's my very quick attempt at auto White Balance correction applied by importing the image into Lightroom and using that to correct.

                              That's rubbish! It looked nothing like that, in fact I was pleased with how it looked in the shot as it was how I remembered it. Perhaps my eyes need their white balance adjusted! Or I may need rose tinted specs I guess.
                              http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/Photography

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X