Cuba 87 - Greek Orthodox Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuba 87 - Greek Orthodox Church

This tiny Greek Orthodox Church was tucked behind the St Francis of Assisi Monastery in what is called the Mother Terresa Garden. It was an unexpected, but welcome, oasis of cool and calm. It even had a pool!

Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Re: Cuba 87 - Greek Orthodox Church

And a welcome change from all the poverty, I should think! I hope you didn't dive in the pool though...

Some nice images there! I'm surprised that they let you photograph inside - they are extremely anti in most Orthodox churches: e.g. in the Alexander Nevsky cathedral in Tallinn, you are required to be SILENT as well as not taking photos (I imagine the shutter noise alone would get you in deep trouble!)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
      And a welcome change from all the poverty, I should think! I hope you didn't dive in the pool though...

Some nice images there! I'm surprised that they let you photograph inside - they are extremely anti in most Orthodox churches: e.g. in the Alexander Nevsky cathedral in Tallinn, you are required to be SILENT as well as not taking photos (I imagine the shutter noise alone would get you in deep trouble!)
      That's the Russians not the Greeks! Went in the Russian Orthodox Church too, that was a very different experience with a gestapo lady guard! Silence and no photos or hats!
      Stuff from Cuba
      More stuff from Cuba
      It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
        That's the Russians not the Greeks! Went in the Russian Orthodox Church too, that was a very different experience with a gestapo lady guard! Silence and no photos or hats!
        Gestapo? No-o-o-o, NKVD. I've met the no photos rule in parts of Greece in monastery churches; I don't see what harm it does, providing you don't use flash.

Comment

Working...
        X