Little Terns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Terns

I have been spending a fair amount of time exploring my home area the past two weeks in search for Little Terns (we have two small colonies some 30 km apart) and found new locations offering a reasonable chance to come within acceptable photo range when the conditions are right and the fishing action takes place close to shore.

Here is a small collection for you to enjoy, taken during the course of 4 sessions. These birds are amazing aerial acrobats and a challenge to capture on film, but the reward makes up for the investment in time I think.

All pictures taken with the E-M5 (~75% crops) and either the TLAPO804 (480mm) or the TS102 (700mm) scope.

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

#3 (Finally, after many failed attempts)

My Gallery on 500px

Re: Little Terns

Stunning action shots of these gorgeous little birds Tord. We have one or two good breeding colonies of them locally but I haven't been able to get any worthwhile shots of them. I have no idea how you manage it with your manual focusing set up. Top work.

Ron

Comment

Amazing shots, well done Tord
      Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
      Flickr

Comment

Thanks, Ron.

Many hours practice behind, and learning from failure. The good thing is I have been rewarded with plenty fresh air and observations during the past 2-3 years I have been using this setup

Seriously speaking: Panning and following the subject is relatively easy using a gimbal head, given the motion pattern is predictable (not the case with these guys). A prerequisite for focusing technique is to assess the shooting distance ahead in advance so that focus can be acquired and maintained with at most half a revolution of the focusing knob, or the subject will go out of focus and the opportunity is gone. Ending up with focus spot on while panning takes a bit of luck, though, so I shoot a burst of 3-5 pictures and keep my fingers crossed. On a good day I get 25% keepers, on a bad day maybe 10%.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Some nice shots in the set to make me more jealous.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Fantastic shots Tord. Always a pleasure to see an expert's results. Your practise and patience has paid off in spades.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Magic as far as I can see! Must be, I can't see how else you could do it!
              Stuff from Cuba
              More stuff from Cuba
              It all started here

Comment

Wonderful shots well done.
                Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Great set Tord.

Number 3 is a great image.

Dave

Comment

Certainly good shots of quite a fast flying bird. You just need one now with a sand eel in its beak to complete the set! I really like the last image.

Comment

Great set Tord. I love the last one - I think the soft light makes it.
                      Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                        Certainly good shots of quite a fast flying bird. You just need one now with a sand eel in its beak to complete the set! I really like the last image.
                        Something like this? (Imagine substituting the Sandwich Tern, and a much smaller Sandeel than this one). Reprint of photo taken last summer, this one also with the TS102 scope.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Hope you managed to avoid the guano
                          Stunning shot though, s*** hot you might say.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                          X