Falconry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falconry

There was a falconry display at Lincoln Castle last weekend. Some of the birds here.

Harris Hawk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Palm Nut Vulture
    [IMG][/IMG]

Eagle Owl
    [IMG][/IMG]

Eagle Owl portrait
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vulture flying
    [IMG][/IMG]

Eagle Owl flying
    [IMG][/IMG]

The eagle owl didn't want to play when he was flown, and went up in a tree, refusing to come down for a while. The vulture flew superbly; so did the harris hawk (but they always do if well trained) and when tied up again, hte vulture was trying to get the knot in his jesse undone. He held it with one foot, and pulled at the rope with his beak. I reckon it won't be long before he breaks out!

Beautiful birds, I love watching them.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking.

Re: Falconry

Hi there Keith!

Some great pictures there, my favourite is the Harris Hawk portrait. I have been lucky enough to see a couple of falconry displays, but each time they were a bonus on a trip, so I didn't have a camera with me.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

I must say that it irks me somewhat to see these majestic birds in captivity instead of roaming the skyways in search of prey.

That said, you have captured some great portraits and action shots, Keith.
      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Mark it is a bit like angling or farming the people who do it are usually the ones who keep the species going/ protected. If they did not exist there would not be a call for the animals i.e. if there was not a market for meat farmers would not keep cows. Most anglers are the people who protect the river corridors and the environment linked the fish and the food sources. I think I am right in saying the same goes for the raptor population, as a lot of the people concerned are breeding and releasing birds back into the wild and thus helping to keep wild populations existing. The downside some of the animals concerned are captive/ caught/ kept.
        Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
          I must say that it irks me somewhat to see these majestic birds in captivity instead of roaming the skyways in search of prey.

That said, you have captured some great portraits and action shots, Keith.
          I love the owl's feet on that block - just like a Martin Brothers pot! People who keep raptors have to have a licence, and the rules are strict. They must have a large space in which to fly other than when they are performing; and of course training involves flying free. They are often birds that would not survive in the wild.

Also, birds such as the Harris hawk and the Palm Nut Vulture must not be released into the wild, since they are not indigenous species. Any animal here that is not indigenous, even if it was in the wild, and say was injured, cannot legally be returned to the wild.

Comment

You have captured (photographically speaking) some nice looking birds.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

I was there as well, although my results were disapointing!
              P5040524_edited-1 by iusedtobeamember, on Flickr
              Olympus E3
              http://www.facebook.com/MarkDPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless Leader View Post
                I was there as well, although my results were disapointing!
                P5040524_edited-1 by iusedtobeamember, on Flickr
                I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, Mark. A good fun day! And mayb e that Harris hawk was getting either camera-shy or annoyed with all these lenses pointed at him by the time you took yours! ! ! ! !

Comment

My favorite is your portrait of the Vulture. Much more regal looking than the images of them I'm used to seeing.
                  Mike
                  Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                  Flickr

Comment

On the subject of falcons, there's an excellent webcam on the peregrine's nest on Nottingham Trent University:

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiver...ons/index.html

There are other webcams in the U.K., but I find that this is the best.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Petrochemist View Post
                      My favorite is your portrait of the Vulture. Much more regal looking than the images of them I'm used to seeing.
                      Yes, it was a nice looking bird, and not very big for a vulture. Though they are also known as vulturines. It was pretty intelligent, judging by the way it was trying to get the knot in its jesse rope undone! It isn't a true eagle, but a monotype; and it eats fish as well as palm nuts, holds them in its feet whilst using its beak to break them open. Also unlike true vultures doesn't fly using thermals. It's an African bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        On the subject of falcons, there's an excellent webcam on the peregrine's nest on Nottingham Trent University:

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiver...ons/index.html

There are other webcams in the U.K., but I find that this is the best.

Jim
                        Hi Jim. We say "falconry", but of course they aren't falcons. We went to see the peregrines on Norwich cathedral spire two weekends back. Didn't see any flying though, and got a stiff neck from looking up so far! Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                        X