For MargaretR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For MargaretR

Thanks to Margaret's suggestions and excellent examples of what is possible, I've gone and dabbled a bit with a 72R filter. While I'm still far off compared to her fine photos, I've certainly had some fun.

Here's the subject in normal light but with the blues whacked down strongly:

This is my best effort at smoothing out the IR filter effects:

And though I don't know really how I got to this point, suffice it to say there was a lot of fooling around with colors.

Thank you Margaret, for supplying the initiative! And in case anyone wants to have a go, the settings are simple: f8, 8 seconds (more or less), iso 100 or 200, IS off, bright sun over one's shoulder and NO wind (not yesterday, unfortunately). The epm-2 could focus through the filter, which to the eye is an opaque black-red, and live view shows just enough of an image for composition. With an optical viewfinder camera (e-500), it was easy to set things up beforehand then screw the filter on for the shot. Or, one could just rent a modified cam from Ian!
    http://technopeasant.org

Re: For MargaretR

Hey Stewart! Great to see someone else dabbling in IR! ... ... Keep up the good work! We'll convert the rest of the forum yet...
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Hi there Stewart and Margaret!

I don't need converting, just reminding occasionally. Thanks for posting this timely reminder as I have been so surprised by this strange yellow thing in the sky that I haven't picked up my IR camera yet this year.

Stewart - I prefer the second image, as I find the false colour in the third just a little too alien, but I love the black water in the second image. It may however be just me - due to defective colour vision I often prefer B&W pictures anyway.

Keep posting the images,

Cheers,

Ralph.
      Last edited by Ralph Harwood; 9th April 2015, 06:41 PM. Reason: trying to type on this touchscreen phone!

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Ralph for the look. My preference is the second one too, but I just had to include a color one for fun, as my failed attempt to chase the subtle colors Margaret posted recently.

Comment

Well, I'm still figuring out the colour processing myself, and making much of it up as I go along, but if a "tutorial" as to what I'm doing so far would be of interest to anyone, I'd be happy to oblige when I get the time.
          Margaret

Comment

Yes, please feel free to share what you know! That's what this forum it's all about.

Comment

OK, I'll collect some screen shots and put something together in the next week or two.
              Margaret

Comment

That will be great Margaret. I saw your earlier work and loved it, but got a bit lost in all the various options so a simple A-B-C will be really helpful. Might even enthuse me to get an old body converted.

John

Comment

Pulled my covered G3 just before I had to go into hospital glad I did

Comment

Mmm, nice!
                    Margaret

Comment

That's a nice one Peter, a variety of contrasts in shape and tone.

Comment

I stray from the typical IR landscapes rather more often, but hopefully this one will be to your tastes. Taken last month outside Buckingham Palace with a converted camera.
                        Australia Gate by Analyst 1, on Flickr

And here's one from Hyde park on my previous trip to London.
                        Squirrel in IR by Analyst 1, on Flickr
                        Mike
                        Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                        Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X