Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Adder portraits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adder portraits

I've really come to appreciate the 60mm Olympus macro since I bought it on here from another e-group member. It's such a beautifully sharp little lens, very compact, and for close up work I reckon it can hold its own against most of the more expensive offerings.

This spring I set myself a target of getting some macro portraits of adders using the 60mm, something for which the remote control function of the OIS app really proved its worth.

The first picture shows my set-up, with a bean bag lowered carefully and very slowly into place on the end of a walking pole just in front of the adder, followed by the camera. Once in place I could see on my smartphone exactly what the camera was seeing, adjust settings and fire the shutter remotely.

It's surprising how much a basking adder fidgets and moves its position, usually just when you're ready to take the shot, and the camera position then has to be moved by pushing or pulling it with the walking pole to realign it.

This little adder was remarkably tolerant of the intrusion, even when the end of the lens was as close as 7 or 8" away from its face, and only slithered peacefully and slowly away into the rocks when the sun disappeared and it started to turn colder.

David

Re: Adder portraits

Excellent description of how you got these really good images.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

A fascinating description of your working methods and some superb results David. Thanks for posting.

Ron

Comment

Wow, stunning results David and useful description of your method. I've only ever seen one adder just as I was about to tread on it! I managed to side-step but didn't get any shots.
        Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
        Flickr

Comment

I have been thinking about using the camera on the end of a monopod (upside down) with an iPod touch to photograph butterflies at ground level.
          Because that is getting harder nowadays. I haven't got very far because the image on the iPod was quite small. Plus it is a bit early for the right subjects.

You experience and great pictures show that there is something in working outdoors with connected devices. I had not thought about snakes and lizards. Wonderful stuff.

Thank you for sharing a great idea.
          Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Those are great shots and ell worth the effort David.

Have you though of using a monopod or even a double ended selfie stick (I have just though this up) with the phone at your end.
            OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post

Have you though of using a monopod or even a double ended selfie stick (I have just though this up) with the phone at your end.
              Monopod with a ball head attached should be workable too Alf, and would make it easier to adjust camera position, but I wonder how stable it would be. Too much movement is likely to scare the subject into hiding.
              One of the problems with shooting from a such a low position is getting grass stems and other vegetation between the subject and the lens - not too bad at this time of year but gets worse as spring moves into gear and everything grows. At the moment I find the bean bag just the right height - it lifts the camera above most of the grass while being closer to the ground than certainly my tripod could manage.
              David

Comment

Nice technique and well done for not spooking the Adder! In my experience with British snakes you rarely see more than the rear half as they slide away, so great fieldcraft too. A stunning set!
                Too many cameras!
                E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Really good results David. I wondered about making a small 'railway' for the camera, which could go onto a tripod like my Manfrotto that will go down almost flat, so that, with a pole attached to the camera, it could be easily moved fore and aft. Bit like some of the (expensive) studio kit for aligning the camera for close-ups. But time is the critical issue here....

Comment

Excellent shots. Was out shooting adders at the weekend but kept my distance. Never thought to try this. Great stuff.

Comment

Nice one we do not have snakes ( other than politicians).
                      Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Lovely shots. TBH I wouldn't know where to look for an adder round here, or a grass snake for that matter. There are far too many people and too much intensive agriculture.
                        David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Fantastic shots David, I am so envious
                          My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Beautiful work David, fascinating stuff.
                            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                            Capture One Pro
                            My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                              Nice one we do not have snakes ( other than politicians).
                              You can have our politicians too! It'll make a dent in our snake numbers and make it much easier for you to get a snap of one in the wild.
                              Too many cameras!
                              E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Working...
                              X