Resting Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resting Fox

I spotted a fox sunning itself in my neighbour's garden and took some shots from a bedroom window. It was a cold, frosty morning but the fox found a likely spot to catch some rays

When I opened the window it woke up ...

... gave me a stare ...

... got bored ...

... and went back to sleep!

Taken with the E-M1 + MMF-3 + EC-20 + 50-200 SWD, minimal sharpening then cropped to about 3240x2430 then resized to 800x600 in OV3. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that I'd switched off EXIF the previous time I'd used OV3 so there's none attached to these JPEGs

Cheers,

JohnGG

Re: Resting Fox

Lovely shots, it looks in good order for this time of the year must be good pickings in your area.
    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Amazing seeing that in the garden & the fox seems comfortable & secure

Comment

Lovely shots. Great colours in the sunshine.

Comment

Nice pictures. By coincidence our neighbour saw a fox in our garden yesterday, but I was out at the time.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Hi John - these are gorgeous shots. I have always thought foxes are beautiful animals although you read disparaging reports about them.
            This is an opportune post for me, as someone might be able to throw some light on a weird thing that happened to me this week.
            I have some above-ground garden boxes (about 1m high) for my veggies. I was lifting some potatoes and found what I am pretty sure is a hen's egg buried.
            I was pretty surprised!
            In the past we have found several broken egg shells in the yard (put that down to crows) and recently quite a large hole dug in a garden bed (put down to a dog).
            A friend has suggested all of this could be a fox - my question is - would a fox bury an egg to return for it later?
            A fox has been seen in our area.
            Forgive me for sort of hijacking your post but I would like to solve the question of my mysterious buried egg.

Comment

Thank you, all, for your kind words

We live in outer suburbia and see quite a few foxes around and they can be very bold. There will be plenty of poorly closed dustbins or bagged rubbish to rummage and we found to our dismay that foxes also eat trampoline covers

I'm not sure, Lyn, about the egg burying. I seem to recall a nature program where Arctic foxes did that but I would have thought our red foxes would be more likely to bury the complete hen

Cheers,

JohnGG

Comment

Don't usually get close enough to a fox to get shots like that! Re: burying eggs: I wouldn't have thought it was a fox. Foxes tend to kill all the chickens in the coop just to drag one off to feed their brood. They'd be more likely to return to the coop later to grab another hen.

Could be something like a badger.

Comment

Foxes will cache food for later, including eggs.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    Foxes will cache food for later, including eggs.

Jim
                    Always understood foxes were carnivores. I know they will eat other things, especially now they live in towns, but I wouldn't have thought a fox would go for something like a hen's egg.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                      Always understood foxes were carnivores. I know they will eat other things, especially now they live in towns, but I wouldn't have thought a fox would go for something like a hen's egg.
                      Eggs are "other things"!

See:

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/brit...fy-egg-thieves

"Foxes generally carry eggs away from nests. They may then eat them or they will cache (bury) them for consumption later."

Foxes love peanuts. If you want to observe a fox in the garden ,throw some peanuts on the lawn. The fox will spend ages seeking them out, during which you can observe the animal.

Jim

Comment

Eggs are "other things"!

See:

"Foxes generally carry eggs away from nests. They may then eat them or they will cache (bury) them for consumption later."

Foxes love peanuts. If you want to observe a fox in the garden ,throw some peanuts on the lawn. The fox will spend ages seeking them out, during which you can observe the animal.

Jim
                        Thanks Jim - I found this link when researching fox behaviour, and I am pretty happy a fox found my box just right for it's cache.
                        Beats my family's theories of a crocodile, turtle or platypus And my grandson telling me not to break the egg as aliens would leap out!

Comment

Beautiful colours and some choice expressions there John.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Nice work. Yes, a very healthy fox. We get them in our garden every night.

We also have local badgers but, after living here 16 years, one not just passing through was caught on a trail camera, b/w video, very recently.

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Eggs are "other things"!

See:

Jim
                              By "other things" I really meant fruit and, well, more the diet of an omnivore. I know foxes like to rummage in dustbins - a work colleague was driven spare by one that kept raiding his dustbin in the middle of the night! Very much an urban one, though.

We'd be a bit wary of putting peanuts out, Jim - too many rats around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X