Project- 52 faces of 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project- 52 faces of 2015

Two great portraits to start, even if you are only counting one of them. Will follow this thread with interest.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thanks Davy- I'm not a fan of canvasses but I will defo be printing this one for them. One half anyway, my biggest regret is my own parents passed away before Eilidh was born.

Thanks for the nice comment mate

Comment

Your welcome Murray, it really is a great shot of your daughter.

I'm sure your parents would have been very proud of her and of you, I'm sorry to hear that they are no longer with you.

Keep up the project, it's got off to a great start.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Two great portraits to start, even if you are only counting one of them. Will follow this thread with interest.
          Thanks John....struggling with this weeks entry- havent had time! Will try for tomorrow methinks!

Comment

It's a very ambitious project Murray as you are finding for the time it will need to keep up throughout the year. You've made a great start though those two are really lovely.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Number 2- Sammy

Sammy is one of my oldest friends, we've known each other for 20 years. An all round top bloke and a great friend to have.

Husband to Gillian, and Dad to Stuart and Sophie.

Three things about Sammy.

1. His proudest moment is completing the Frankfurt Marathon in 2013.

2. His biggest regret is hanging up the football boots too early.

3. He likes beer, new beers make him happy!

Top lad is our Sammy.

52 Faces of 2015. Number 2: Sammy by Murray McMillan, on Flickr
              Last edited by MurrayMcMillan; 11th January 2015, 01:55 PM. Reason: Error with image

Comment

52 Faces of 2015 continues.....

Number 3: Danny

I've known Danny a good few years now, we used to work together and although we don't anymore, we still keep in touch a lot. A top lad and a great mate.

As you may remember, I always ask three things/questions of each person I take a photograph of, so here's Danny's.

Q1. What's your biggest achievement?

A: My family, meeting my Nicola walking home from school in 1995, and being together 20 years this year. Having my two kids, Ryan and Rachel, and seeing them grow up.

Q2. What makes you happy?

A: I'm happiest when in good company, with a nice beer, and of course when Celtic are winning :-)

Q3: What is your biggest dislike?

A: Novelty ties, socks, boxers, and Nike. (Danny loves his clothes and in particular Adidas as anyone who knows him will tell you)

52 Faces of 2015. Number 3anny by Murray McMillan, on Flickr

Comment

52 Faces of 2015. Number 4: Alastair

This week I got to spend some time and do some work with artist Alastair Cook, who kindly agreed to be Number 4.

Alastair Cook works principally as a photographer concentrating on antique technologies and as a filmmaker combining digital video and hand-developed film-stock. His award winning work is driven by his knowledge, skill and experience as a conservation architect: this mercurial work is rooted in place and the intrinsic connections between people, land and the sea. Alastair trained at the Glasgow School of Art then fled the country, returning after a dutiful spell in London and a more relaxed time in Amsterdam; he now lives and works in Edinburgh.

Alastair is the founder of Documenting Britain, driven by his desire to document the archipelago that is the British Isles; he is also the founding director of film and poetry project Filmpoem, now an international film festival. Alastair is currently the artist in residence for Kaunas Photography Gallery in Lithuania, representing Street Level Photoworks in Glasgow.

More at : http://alastaircook.com/ & http://www.documentingbritain.com/

1. What’s always worth getting out of bed for?

What is actually worth getting out of bed for? There are a myriad of things that draw me from my slumber: the faces of my children, the creak of the stair, the peek of sunshine as she leaves the bed and brushes against the curtain. Promises: of coffee perhaps, bread to bake, a photograph to make, a friend to meet. The answer is simple and I hope not too trite: life. Each and every one of these things is worth getting out of bed for. I’ve just asked her what she might think I’d get out of bed for and she replied, immediately, “a Grand Prix.”

2. What gets under your skin?

The voice. The voice. The voice. The single most beautiful instrument we have. Sung, spoken, shouted, whispered, whined, wailed.

We grow listening to other voices outside of our womb, we are launched into a cacophony, we make sense of this and then join in without tutelage; we are told stories, spoken to in terms of endearment and chastisement.

My feeling is that our desire for narrative comes from this, this inherent listening. But we spend little enough of our adult time actually listening, often considering our reply while hearing, not listening. Often the music we choose is layered in our multi-tasked lives. But do this for me now. Stop reading this, put on a song you love and stare at a blank wall. It’s only 5 minutes or so, but it’s proper rest, real downtime. But don’t forget to come back.

3. What do you hope for?

I hope for little victories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really enjoying this project- hope it's coming across that way. Thanks for all the likes and comments so far.

52 Faces of 2015. Number 4:Alastair by Murray McMillan, on Flickr

Comment

His eyes, they're so expressive and totally engage the viewer. This one is a masterpiece.
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                      His eyes, they're so expressive and totally engage the viewer. This one is a masterpiece.
                      Thank you John!!

Very happy with this one. Alastair is a very interesting guy. I'm doing some work with him and learning about different types of processing. Did paper negatives on Saturday, and have two film workshops and then a collodion one coming up.

Thanks for the comment mate.

Comment

Just what John said - a fabulous portrait!

Comment

Due to a bad couple of weeks- family bereavement, I didnt manage to keep up to date.

Number 5: Ross

This week's face is my good friend Ross, and I think this photograph of him captures his personality very well. Lots of fun and a top lad all round.
                          Also like to applaud Ross for his honesty with the answers to my questions this week.

Q1. What's your biggest fear?

A: I'm terrified of dying, to the extent that at random times I have severe panic attacks!
                          Q2. What's your biggest hope?

A: Being a father, I hope my son Leo has a fulfilled life, and does whatever he dreams of doing.
                          Q3. What's your biggest regret?

A: Not being with my brother when he died. My brother and best friend died on my wedding day.

Arthur died after a long hard battle with various forms of cancer.
                          While visiting the night before we got married he told me not to come up to the hospital the next day. Even on his death bed all he could think about was Laura and I's big day. He made me promise to make the day go ahead.

It turned out to be his dying wish.

We found out after dinner that Arthur had passed and it still kills me now that I wasn't there.

52 Faces of 2015. Number 5: Ross by Murray McMillan, on Flickr

Comment

And number 6.

Lindsay

Question 1. What makes you happiest?

A: My family and friends. I love nothing more than spending time with them, especially the kids. It's been amazing watching them all grow up over the past few years.

Question 2. What is your pet hate?

A: I can't decide on just one. My 2 pet hates are lateness and waiting about. Especially combined, when you are waiting on someone who is running late!

Question 3. Can you tell me something about you that no-one else knows?

A: Haha! No! My Mum is on the internet- I am not incriminating myself!

52 Faces of 2015: Number 6. Lindsay by Murray McMillan, on Flickr

Comment

You are really really good at this Murray. This is going to be a classic thread.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Thank you Phill. That is a really, really nice thing to say. I appreciate that so much

Comment

Working...
                                X