Message from the Deep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from the Deep?

A dull, dreary day in Suffolk encouraged me to play with the E-M1 and try to improve my ability to use it.

I found this shell several years ago on a diving expedition and it's always intrigued me, the pattern almost looks like a form of middle eastern writing.

The shell was empty when I found it, no animal was harmed by me picking it up.

I was impressed with the close focusing and the sharpness of the MZ 12-40 lens also:

This is a 100% crop of the same image:

Dave

Re: Message from the Deep?

So, you found a notebook from one of the pyramids architects then?! You probably need to turn it in because it might be considered a national treasure

This pattern is most known from other marine molluscs, namely gastropods. I actually have to look into my literature to compare this with. Interesting - and I have to say, very well presented shell. Is that sandpaper you used for background?
    I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

That was a great find - really unusual.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Most unusual and very pretty.
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

Never seen those before. They look painted.
          Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Davy, I do lurve shells and have quite a few collections but not one like this truly amazing

Where did you find it ? it is a bit like some I collected in the Seychelles, but I cannot check mine as they are ... in storage just now !
            [I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post
              So, you found a notebook from one of the pyramids architects then?! You probably need to turn it in because it might be considered a national treasure

This pattern is most known from other marine molluscs, namely gastropods. I actually have to look into my literature to compare this with. Interesting - and I have to say, very well presented shell. Is that sandpaper you used for background?
              Thanks for your interest in this, I'd be interested in hearing if you're able to find any information regarding the species this shell is from.

Well done on identifying the background, it is sandpaper.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mickg View Post
                Never seen those before. They look painted.
                Thanks for sharing.
                Definitely not painted Mick, I found it on the bottom at circa 40m deep.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                  Davy, I do lurve shells and have quite a few collections but not one like this truly amazing

Where did you find it ? it is a bit like some I collected in the Seychelles, but I cannot check mine as they are ... in storage just now !
                  Thanks Chevvy,

I found it on the sea bed, around 40m deep, off Oriental Mindoro in the Philippines.

I look forward to seeing some of your shells when you bring them out of storage.

Dave

Comment

Super find and the glasspaper background sets it of well.
                    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Dave, I've found one reference in my books which might or might not be the exact same species. If not, it should be close (genus) and offer at least a starting point from where to proceed - if you so desire: Lioconcha castrensis, family Veneridae.
                      I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post
                        Dave, I've found one reference in my books which might or might not be the exact same species. If not, it should be close (genus) and offer at least a starting point from where to proceed - if you so desire: Lioconcha castrensis, family Veneridae.
                        Thanks Falk,

I've Googled this species and I'd say you were spot on.

On one page it described where a sample shell had been found and it sounds very similar to the location I found mine in.

Thanks again for taking the time to investigate.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X