E-M5 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M5 Update

I have just got around to doing the latest upgrade on the E-M5 including the new AF small spot feature.
    I am thrilled with the result and can't wait to try it with my other lenses as this is straight OOC - no pp at all, and focused on the small centre lavender flower.
    Very ordinary settings at F/5.2 1/200 sec ISO 200. And just with the kit lens 12-50mm.
    Thanks Olympus!

And with levels adjusted, auto contrast.

Re: E-M5 Update

They're beautiful & that centre is nicely focussed. Some people take a while to get around to doing things. Never mind, I won't tell you how many years it's taken me over some projects (that still aren't completed). For myself with the updates though, I couldn't get them in soon enough (if it's for me).

The small focus points were something that many wanted after the E-PL5 came out with them. You may find that there are occasions that they will work against you because of the lack of contrast detail it may be required to focus on & that is where the larger area is still needed, but the small box is very welcome for isolating birds & small plant sections (flowers) etc. from busy surroundings.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
      They're beautiful & that centre is nicely focussed. Some people take a while to get around to doing things. Never mind, I won't tell you how many years it's taken me over some projects (that still aren't completed). For myself with the updates though, I couldn't them in soon enough (if it's for me).

The small focus points were something that many wanted after the E-PL5 came out with them. You may find that there are occasions that they will work against you because of the lack of contrast detail it may be required to focus on & that is where the larger area is still needed, but the small box is very welcome for isolating birds & small plant sections (flowers) etc. from busy surroundings.

Hi Ross - I am so glad you saw this (saves me a pm!) because it was your post in The Lounge that alerted me to the upgrade.
      So my question is - Is there some way that Olympus can notify me as to updates or do you just have to keep checking in with them?
      I have found the AF squares a bit confusing on the E-M5 and think the update is just beaut.

Comment

That's a beautiful, well-focussed group of flowers.

Regarding upgrade notifications - sometimes I get a "round robin" from Olympus, often quite late after the event, but I usually find out by checking forums.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
          Hi Ross - I am so glad you saw this (saves me a pm!) because it was your post in The Lounge that alerted me to the upgrade.
          So my question is - Is there some way that Olympus can notify me as to updates or do you just have to keep checking in with them?
          I have found the AF squares a bit confusing on the E-M5 and think the update is just beaut.
          Unfortunately Olympus Australia doesn't email news but various news worthy titbits can be seen on FaceBook (something I avoided for ages but have monitored Olympus for a while) https://www.facebook.com/Olympus.AU
          The Update Page (Japan) is where I usually check & this is the info page of all of the updates for the E-M5.

Also, I've wasted heaps of time on rumour sites where it had rumoured information of the firmware update coming, but the release date would normally be posted by someone here on the forum as it's discovered.

Also unfortunately, there isn't an update to the E-M5 manual (as there was for the E-M1 FW 2.0 update) but info on the Small AF target [ . ]s (added to the AF target settings) can be read about (sort of) in the E-PL5 manual, page 35, where the INFO key is used followed by the up/down keys to change the AF Target sizes & groups.

Ross
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            That's a beautiful, well-focussed group of flowers.

Regarding upgrade notifications - sometimes I get a "round robin" from Olympus, often quite late after the event, but I usually find out by checking forums.
            Thanks Stephen. Appreciated.

Comment

Unfortunately Olympus Australia doesn't email news but various news worthy titbits can be seen on FaceBook (something I avoided for ages but have monitored Olympus for a while) https://www.facebook.com/Olympus.AU
              The Update Page (Japan) is where I usually check & this is the info page of all of the updates for the E-M5.

Also, I've wasted heaps of time on rumour sites where it had rumoured information of the firmware update coming, but the release date would normally be posted by someone here on the forum as it's discovered.

Also unfortunately, there isn't an update to the E-M5 manual (as there was for the E-M1 FW 2.0 update) but info on the Small AF target [ . ]s (added to the AF target settings) can be read about (sort of) in the E-PL5 manual, page 35, where the INFO key is used followed by the up/down keys to change the AF Target sizes & groups.

Thanks very much Ross. This is helpful. I will use the links.
              By trial and error I discovered that the magic Info button held the key to the new AF Target sizes etc. It would have been helpful if Olympus had included this gem with their info on the update. After finding this, I found a useful YouTube grab on it as well but haven't tried the new Low ISO yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
                Thanks very much Ross. This is helpful. I will use the links.
                By trial and error I discovered that the magic Info button held the key to the new AF Target sizes etc. It would have been helpful if Olympus had included this gem with their info on the update. After finding this, I found a useful YouTube grab on it as well but haven't tried the new Low ISO yet.
                Glad to be of help. In my opinion, I would only use Low ISO if had to but otherwise 200 (or Auto set at up to 6400).
                Ross

Comment

BTW Lyn. Have you checked your lenses for updates too. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/
                  Ross

Comment

BTW Lyn. Have you checked your lenses for updates too. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/
                    Thanks Ross - I did the 12-50 when I did the E-M5 but will check my other lenses as well. And the E-520! Goodness knows how far behind I am with that! . I am slack.

Comment

Working...
                    X