X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Street" father and toddler with Parental Permission

Not quite "Street" but "in Public" at the Alresford Show on Saturday
    Father and sleeping Toddler

I observed this proud dad with sleeping toddler on his shoulder and said, as I passed "what a beautiful image, proud dad and beautiful sleeping toddler please, may I photograph you both?"

Dad said, "of course, please do". So I pretended to click the button but was re focusing and waiting for him to relax and smile again ! He did

I offered him my email address and said I am happy to send a copy of the image. When I got to the emails on Sunday, he had contacted me

" ... Hi Chevvy, My name is C*** , I was the man carrying the little girl whose batteries had run out of charge. You very kindly took some lovely photos of myself and K***. I would be very grateful if you could email them to me.

It was a lovely and especially kind thing for you to do, so a very big thank you to you.

Many thanks

C***

and I duly emailed as promised. 4 images

He Replied,

" ... Chevvy

The photos are beautiful, thank you. A chance meeting with a great outcome. I can see tell that you are very passionate about your photography.

You are more than welcome to send it to the Chronicle, I do read the Chronicle, so would keep my eye open for it.

Once again, many thanks,

C**

The BIG Question is, would he have agreed to a male with camera taking this image ?

Indeed, would he have agreed to any female taking this image ?

I got the same image I first saw, with a dads smile too (he was looking proud and wistful) ... and relaxed into a charming soft smile as I clicked and adjusted settings for a minute or two.

I did show him the images, and as his wife returned I was proud to share them with her too.

I have sent them off the The Chronicle

I was not smartly dressed, but in Capri shorts and T shirt at a relaxed Country Show.

Was I "lucky" ?

Maybe my face "is one to trust" and my passion for "seeing such a loving moment in time preceded me" ?

Would you have said " ... "what a beautiful image, proud dad and beautiful sleeping toddler please, may I photograph you both?" ?

Do you prefer the colour ? or b & w ?

It is not a perfect image - we were under the shade of many huge trees and too many people about to "fuss" much - so it is more a snapshot !
    [I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Re: "Street" father and toddler with Parental Permission

That's the way to do it...

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Chevvy, I think it is a cracker shot and I think you were skilful rather than lucky to get it. I'm sure your open manner and personal charm, not your ... :erm: ... casual attire, put the man at ease. I'm also sure that no man could have elicited that smile.

The B&W adds nothing to the magic of this picture - quite the contrary indeed.

If I may say so,you are an extremely good photographer Chevvy.
      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
        Chevvy, ... I'm sure your open manner and personal charm, not your ... :erm: ... casual attire, put the man at ease. I'm also sure that no man could have elicited that smile.

The B&W adds nothing to the magic of this picture - quite the contrary indeed.

If I may say so, ... Chevvy.
        Good point about fathers smile ... unless he was gay (and clearly not)

re B & W I thought it softens the skin lots

re 3 thanks
        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I think you captured a great moment there Chevvy and it is more than a snapshot well done.

Saying that the colour does not work for me it is to saturated in the skin tone (underexposed) and the bright pink jumper just detracts from the expression on his happy face and the little girls peacefull one, this would be more powerful in a correctly processed mono tone and have more impact..just my view Chevvy and I know some do not like monotone.
          Regards Paul.
          One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
            Do you prefer the colour ? or b & w ? !
            Absolutely the B&W, the shirt and stripes in monochrome really set off their faces,
            whereas the colour has overcooked skin tones and a distracting background.

Comment

Great shot Chevvy,

Your approach worked and paid dividends but alas as you point out there are many differing perceptions we face as photographers and I suspect your point about male versus female photographer is very relevant.

Great shot and I hope the Chronicle use it as it demonstrates that the great majority of people with cameras are innocent with a lust for their hobby and a genuine innocent approach to their work.

Great job
              Ian from the Cotswolds
              http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                I think you captured a great moment there Chevvy and it is more than a snapshot well done.

Saying that the colour does not work for me it is to saturated in the skin tone (underexposed) and the bright pink jumper just detracts from the expression on his happy face and the little girls peacefull one, this would be more powerful in a correctly processed mono tone and have more impact..just my view Chevvy and I know some do not like monotone.
                Paul, I agree ! I had been taking images of horses and "Settings" were all wrong ... I just did a quick "whizz" to downsize and I am thinking of processing this in CO P7 at the weekend mono and colour

They (dad and family) were just back from a few weeks in the south of France and "dad was glowing"

Paul, I really do appreciate your exceedingly valid comments, Thanks
                [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Thank you Ian and Ulfric for your great comments

I shall let you know if the Chronic uses it
                  [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I'll admit to liking the B&W version best too. It just seems to put focus on the faces and great expressions more. It's a lovely shot overall Chevvy well done you and I hope the paper use it.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                      I'll admit to liking the B&W version best too. It just seems to put focus on the faces and great expressions more. It's a lovely shot overall Chevvy well done you and I hope the paper use it.
                      Thanks Phill I shall process in CO pro 7 and then re post it
                      [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I prefer the mono, too. First and foremost this picture succeeds because you captured a beautiful moment worth preserving. You made the right approach, getting the father onboard and relaxed for a lovely pose.
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thanks Phill I shall process in CO pro 7 and then re post it
                          Look forward to seeing it Chevvy as I know you can get something better out of it ( I tried it).
                          Regards Paul.

Comment

No Electric until 12.10 pm today so not computer !

But later today shall work on this one

Thank You John

and Paul (oooh can I see yours if I show you mine ?) please post yours ???
                            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

No Electric until 12.10 pm today so not computer !

But later today shall work on this one

Thank You John

and Paul (oooh can I see yours if I show you mine ?) please post yours ???
                              Hi Chevvy just got back from the Black Country Living Museum ( it killed me walking round, health still not great) sure I'll post it for you, I would not do it before as it is not in looking for improvement.

Regards Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X