Hover flies in the garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hover flies in the garden

I had a lot of hover flies of different varieties in the garden this afternoon and here the ones I have processed so far.

The first image was taken with my new acquired m4/3 40-150mm lens with the raynox 250. The rest of the images are with the sigma 105.

Hover-fly-1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-6 by alf.branch, on Flickr
    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Re: Hover flies in the garden

More good stuff Alf! I think I'd have to pick number 5 if I had to choose...
    GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

absolutely stunning. Focus spot on.
      Terry
      Canberra - The Nation's Capital
      E-620 plus stuff

Comment

Quality images - so sharp and colourful with great DoF.

Comment

Will you stop posting these images Alf, they are so good that I'm thinking of giving up macro work!

More remarkable work and the first is an impressive demonstration of what is possible without a dedicated macro lens

How does the 40-150 cope with the weight of the raynox?

Comment

Unbelievable detail Alf, well captured!
            Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
            Flickr

Comment

What focal length and aperture do you find best with the 40-150?, I bought the Raynox after seeing the results that you were getting but am struggling to get the full bug in focus with DOF being so narrow.

It must be the settings......it can't be me

Comment

Number five for me as well, it just puts the bug nicely into its environment.

That Raynox can deliver great results. I've seen it put to great use with butterflys and larger creatures.

Was this all on a tripod?

David.

Comment

Just wonderful as we've come to expect now Alf. I think you must need a rest from macros for a bit to let the rest of us catch up....as if, only joking
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
                    Will you stop posting these images Alf, they are so good that I'm thinking of giving up macro work!

More remarkable work and the first is an impressive demonstration of what is possible without a dedicated macro lens

How does the 40-150 cope with the weight of the raynox?
                    The Raynox MCR 250 is not very large or heavy really so its fine. It is no more than a Cokin P filter set upand a couple of filters. You can achieve much more magnification with it than this example.

Originally posted by Jim Gordon View Post
                    What focal length and aperture do you find best with the 40-150?, I bought the Raynox after seeing the results that you were getting but am struggling to get the full bug in focus with DOF being so narrow.

It must be the settings......it can't be me
                    It is not at all easy to get anything in focus with the set up. It mostly moving the camera back and forth from the subject as the focusing doesnt do much though zooming in and out is more useful. Practice on a static subject first is my advice. I use f8 to f11 mostly but I am using flash mostly too or upping the ISO to maybe 1600 on the rare occasion I do not use flash but diffusion is the to flash.

Originally posted by DavidJ1609 View Post
                    Number five for me as well, it just puts the bug nicely into its environment.

That Raynox can deliver great results. I've seen it put to great use with butterflys and larger creatures.

Was this all on a tripod?

David.
                    Well I reckon a Raynox mcr 250 would have you struggling with a butterfly to get it all in even at 40mm.
                    I do not use a tripod as I would get no shots at all I reckon.

I will do some shots to show magnification and focus distance with various combinations and add them to THIS thread.
                    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Hi there Alf!

Fantastic pictures once again! How does using the 40-150 with the raynox lens compare with using the sigma 105? I've just bought a M-CON40 from that auction site and I'm waiting on a 55mmto 58mm converter to try it on my m43 40-150mm, but will finding focus be as difficult as with the 105mm (I normally have to use MF and rock, by which time most subjects have got bored and flown off, hence spider shots). I was hoping that the AF might work on the 40-150 with an achromat on the front.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Ralph
                        This is not at all easy I shot over 327 frames yesterday (some already deleted) this lot adds up to a good success rate though there are more shots in there.

IMO AF is a waste of time for macro. MF and rocking the focus ring/camera back and forth is the only way. You need to approach the subject slowly and focus as you move in shooting as you get closer to bank a shot on the way.

An achromat is not likely to work with AF (it didnt for me as expected) and when it does it will focus on something else wasting your time.

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                          Well I reckon a Raynox mcr 250 would have you struggling with a butterfly to get it all in even at 40mm.
                          You are quite correct, I was confusing it with other shots on a facebook page where the user also used a Raynox. I said then, and say now, it seems an impressive bit of kit!

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi Alf,

I find it easier using the digital teleconverter on the E-M10 when using the 40-150 with Raynox. I am also starting to see improvements now I have worked out how to turn off live view because my supposed TTL Flash (Nissin Di466) doesn't seem to update the live view when you change flash compensation. (I was struggling to see anything through the viewfinder).

Still not as impressive as your shots, but I think I am starting to see some improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Gordon View Post
                              Hi Alf,

I find it easier using the digital teleconverter on the E-M10 when using the 40-150 with Raynox. I am also starting to see improvements now I have worked out how to turn off live view because my supposed TTL Flash (Nissin Di466) doesn't seem to update the live view when you change flash compensation. (I was struggling to see anything through the viewfinder).

Still not as impressive as your shots, but I think I am starting to see some improvements.
                              First Jim the main difference is the lighting I use a Di466. They are in focus and sharp.

Do you mean the teleconverter of magnified view?
                              I use aperture priority as when I tried shutter priority or manual the level of the viewfinder can be very dark.

Try a snoot/diffuser on the flash it makes all the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X