Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EM1 street and the Police

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    The site owner, Amin, is a nice bloke but he does have a bee in his bonnet about anything remotely political. On the other hand, many of the members there are less polite, restrained and respectful of other viewpoints than we are here, so I understand his position. I haven't visited his site for months, for no other reason than I really spend quite enough time on this one!
    Yes, I agree John. I've exchanged a few mails with Amin on occasion and he does seem like a very nice guy. I think he's doing a great job with u43 and all its sister sites (including the newly re-named SeriousCompacts which has become PhotographersLounge). I guess I'm not really complaining - he manages to keep u43 as a fairly sane place compared to the war-zone that places like DPReview can be sometimes! However, like you, I prefer to spend my time here these days. This is a great site.
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
      There is also the possibility that she has a reason for the presence of the bee - maybe she has had some bad experience with some other photographer who took and then abused some photos. I very much doubt it, but we should acknowledge the possibility. From Ian's description it sounds as though the Plods handled it very diplomatically. If I were thrown into a panic by something and went to them for support I would be pretty miffed if they just dismissed it and told me not to worry my pretty little head about it. However irrational my panic was.

John
      Maybe she was just peeed orf that NO ONE takes her photo and Ian did not say how "cute" her son is and Ian never offered her a model contract for her son to earn a fortune - because she could do with the money ... or someone had just had a go at her

or she fancied Ian
      [I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

I'm sure we all remember the excellent fountain shots by Shirley. Imagine a man taking similar shots - he would be sent to hell as a result. Immediately categorised as a perv or worse.
        I would not take a photograph with a child in the field of view even with parents and definitely, definitely not without.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

or she fancied Ian
          Now let's not get into the realms of fantasy!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
            I'm sure we all remember the excellent fountain shots by Shirley. Imagine a man taking similar shots - he would be sent to hell as a result. Immediately categorised as a perv or worse.
            I would not take a photograph with a child in the field of view even with parents and definitely, definitely not without.
            That's a good point!
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Interestingly, I was talking to one of the ladies at work yesterday and she is a fairly avid photographer who shoots some nice images.

Recently she was challenged by a member of the public for shooting an image of her child, she did put the person firmly in their place by explaining the child was in fact hers and she had the right to photograph her as and when she chose.

Needless to say, she was not amused but again this is a perfect example of the paranoia people are now feeling about camera toting individuals and thanks to the "artistic licence" of some journalists, photographers are viewed firstly as either paedophiles or terrorists then secondly as innocent photographers enjoying their hobby.

The press in this country have a lot to answer for and as has been proven many times by those withy the finances to challenge, they do create a mindset in the people through questionable reporting.
              Ian from the Cotswolds
              http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

There are times when I wonder about how viewing some of the pictures on this site would be judged if one was the subject of a prosecute at all costs police investigation.
                This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                  OK ! So male Togs doing "Street" should be dressed as ladies ?

Well a wig and a frock from a charity shop are quite cheap and a red lipstick, well I have hundreds to give away
                  [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Iansky View Post
                    Interestingly, I was talking to one of the ladies at work yesterday and she is a fairly avid photographer who shoots some nice images.

Recently she was challenged by a member of the public for shooting an image of her child, she did put the person firmly in their place by explaining the child was in fact hers and she had the right to photograph her as and when she chose.

Needless to say, she was not amused but again this is a perfect example of the paranoia people are now feeling about camera toting individuals and thanks to the "artistic licence" of some journalists, photographers are viewed firstly as either paedophiles or terrorists then secondly as innocent photographers enjoying their hobby.

The press in this country have a lot to answer for and as has been proven many times by those with the finances to challenge, they do create a mindset in the people through questionable reporting.
                    Interestingly, Ian - Parents must get a License from their Local Authority, if they want their child to take up "model Contracts" Which I am exploring as publishing many books on "Child Development" with photos, approved by parents but now we have to get the LA Licences, under Child Protection.

PS I am not publishing names of the children, only age/stage of Development; Parents are setting up Trust Accounts for the Children ; and I am paying the Children for the photo use, although maintaining copyright. Publications may be in 52 languages but 11 to start.
                    Parents receive a "copy of each publication" for their childs Learning and Development Journey in life "

The Child Photos shall be used in slideshows and handouts for Conference/Workshops too and, each "use" gains the child a royalty Fee".

I have been so very privileged to have over 120+ children in the last 12 years while studying with Professor Robert Winston on Child of our Time ; and Richard Bowlby - both knighted for their work with children during my Early Years Education and Childhood Degree - albeit specializing in Austistic Spectrum Disorder and Developmental Delay ; and Trauma too with some exceedingly notable Authors and of course, some wonderful families and their children who maintain "much contact" with Nick and I - we are now "Voluntary Social Workers"
                    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                      OK ! So male Togs doing "Street" should be dressed as ladies ?

Well a wig and a frock from a charity shop are quite cheap and a red lipstick, well I have hundreds to give away
                      And you don't think that me dressed like that will provoke even more panic?!
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                        And you don't think that me dressed like that will provoke even more panic?!
                        NO ! John, with a Grannys wicker basket for your lenses, covered in red and white gingham cloth, you shall look the part
                        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Tried it - fell off the heels - gave it up for a bad job!
                          Ian from the Cotswolds
                          http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Tried it - fell off the heels - gave it up for a bad job!
                            ahhh ! you can wear not stillito heels - cute little "Kitten Heels" look chic especially when feet are quite large
                            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I was photographing my daughter in a playground - we walked in together, she called me Dad, and I was sure to only include her on the slides/swings etc.

This thick-neck tattoed cliche' of an Essex man came up to me aggressively, wound his neck out and said "Oi! Are you taking pictures of my kids?".

I've survived a few such idiots in my home town of Chelmsford and, although some had to involve self-defense, I have managed to walk away from most. In this case, the sensible thing was to explain the bloody obvious and then show him my pictures. Even after this, he seemed agitated and was perhaps looking for a fight. Whatever was troubling him, beating down on another human being was probably his way of dealing with it.

Scary stuff indeed, as always. As has been said, the world is sadly filling with knee-jerk reactionaries.

David.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                                The stupidity of all this of course is that hardly anyone pays the slightest attention to people taking shots using smartphones - even though some of these smartphones now have half-decent cameras in them.
                                When I read this I thought I would put it to the test. I posted earlier about my concerns of street photography and people's reactions but this comment about smartphones made me think. I went to our local town centre. As was said smart phones are such common place in today's society no one really sees them.

The results even amazed me, this was using an I phone 5s.

Southwater, Telford. I phone "Street" photography
                                by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

This one in particular, there was only a 2 foot wide counter between us. Reaction 0. Would I have got away with this as a shutter released on a DSLR? I think not.

I was amazed I could take someone's photo who was going about their daily business without them batting an eyelid.

Ironically though I posted these pictures on Instagram and the response I got was;

Andy******@timmypreston 'who's this creep taking a picture of me.......? SECURITY!'

This was my brother in laws response to the picture. It's an interesting topic I think.
                                Thanks
                                Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/

Comment

Working...
                                X