Library of Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library of Birmingham

I had not been out any further than the garden for a month since having the problem with my eye and cabin fever kicked in today and I had to get out.

With the wife riding shotgun to make sure I did not walk into anything we caught the tram into Birmingham,no driving for me for a while with just one eye working at the moment.

The wife said I was walking like a drunken man very disorientated .

The last time I was in Birmingham they had just nearly finished building the new one, so we popped in for a few minutes to see what it was like inside on the way to my favourite haunt Gas Street Basin..

You will have to forgive they are not up to my usual standard due to my problem which made taking pics very disorientating, just point and shoot but I thought I would share them anyway.

All taken with just the E-M10 and the 14-42 EPZ pancake zoom, I would not trust myself changing lenses on the street the way I am at the moment.

Regards Paul.
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Re: Library of Birmingham

I really like these, the third one especially.

Did you manage to get up onto the roof garden? I'm looking forward to it getting dark earlier so I can nip along after I finish work and hopefully get some good skyline shots...

Comment

Originally posted by Daverino76 View Post
      I really like these, the third one especially.

Did you manage to get up onto the roof garden? I'm looking forward to it getting dark earlier so I can nip along after I finish work and hopefully get some good skyline shots...
      Thank you Dave, I did not even know there was a roof garden but then we just popped in for only a few minutes as I was curious.
      Regards Paul.

Comment

Paul,
        It looks to be a splendid building - but were there any users?

Hope your eye trouble mends quickly.
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
          Paul,
          It looks to be a splendid building - but were there any users?

Hope your eye trouble mends quickly.
          Thank you Chris, actually there was more people on the library coffee shop than reading.
          Regards Paul.

Comment

You must be pleased with this set, Paul. You take better pictures with just one eye than most of us do with two!

Are you using the EVF or the screen? I imagine using the viewfinder with the "wrong" eye would be really awkward and wondered if composing on the screen is any better?

Love the colours in the library, it was obviously designed by a photographer!

Glad to see you felt like going out, that's a good sign
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Nice shots Paul. I must get along to this place sometime. I'm sure my kids would love it (and my wife the coffee shop!!).

Great to see that you're not letting the eye problems defeat you. My very best wishes for a complete recovery too.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Nice set Paul
                I have seen the roof garden on TV it is managed by volunteers I think.
                OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  You must be pleased with this set, Paul. You take better pictures with just one eye than most of us do with two!

Are you using the EVF or the screen? I imagine using the viewfinder with the "wrong" eye would be really awkward and wondered if composing on the screen is any better?

Love the colours in the library, it was obviously designed by a photographer!

Glad to see you felt like going out, that's a good sign
                  Thank you for the compliment John though I'm sure it's not true.

In the library I used the screen all the while at waist level, outside in bright sunlight I used the EVF for a few shots but kept losing my balance when taking the camera from my one good eye,so did not do that much.

In fact it reminded me how much I missed my little E-PL5 I sold earlier on that I have decided to get another one, there quite cheap now.

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  Nice shots Paul. I must get along to this place sometime. I'm sure my kids would love it (and my wife the coffee shop!!).

Great to see that you're not letting the eye problems defeat you. My very best wishes for a complete recovery too.
                  Thank you Paul, I'm sure you would love it as a photographer, I'm certainly going back there when I'm feeling fitter and more up to the challenge than I was today.

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                  Nice set Paul
                  I have seen the roof garden on TV it is managed by volunteers I think.
                  Thank you Alf and I'm definatly going to find that roof garden the next time I'm there.
                  Regards Paul.

Comment

You mean they have the internet in printed form now?? nice shots Paul, hope the eye gets better soon!
                    GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Paul, a great set

Cabin Fever Arggghhhh I get it now and then, after 3 or 4 days of rain; cold days when the little ones are "best indoors" !

Its not the eye that has the problem, but the brain, yours is trained for two viewpoints to focal point ! and the disorientation you feel is because the brain cannot make the other eye work properly ! I had that when "my eyes ops" were done !

Very disorientating, literally but temporary

Still your doing great ! Thanks for sharing, I shall put the Roof Garden on my List
                      [I].
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Superb as usual Paul in spite of your eye problem ... which goes to prove just how damned good you are with a camera !
                        My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

I agree with Mark! Especially like your second shot.
                          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Thank you Chevvy, Mark and Stephen much appriciated.
                            Regards Paul.

Comment

That looks a super place the shots give a great impression of the building. Take care hope the eye keeps well.
                              Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Working...
                              X