RAF Gliding and Soaring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF Gliding and Soaring

A drive out just a few miles from home takes us to an RAF base where there is a Gliding and Soaring Association which offers servicemen/women the chance to experience free flying. Several civilian clubs share the facility. -

The windsock says all is well but this fuselage is going nowhere. It is from a BAC84 Jet Provost aircraft - now limbless and resting in the corner of a field. It was at one time used as a jump for horses!

All taken with the OM-D E-M1, the first two with the 75-300mm lens, the last with the 12-40.

Regards,
    Ann1e

Re: RAF Gliding and Soaring

Oh yeah : jet Provost jump at the county show : do it!

Comment

Harrier 'jump jet' would be more of a challenge!
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Hi Ann1e. No1 gave us some happy memories as Neil was a glider pilot, eventually becoming an instructor. Many an hour have I spent in a dusty paddock waiting for him to return, or going on retrieval. He doesn't fly these days, but remains interested in aviation.

Comment

I was a pilot with the RAFGSA, which airfield is this? I'm guessing Halton

Comment

Are some of us wired to want to fly and take pictures, there's quite a few of us on here who do both, or have previously done so. I used to do both simultaneously; once I had the window open for a shot and my chart went flying backwards, turning round, I saw my passenger engulfed by my half-mil!
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

An interesting post, Ann1e, ranging form a super dairy to an abandoned aircraft used as a horse jump! Often fact is stranger than fiction!
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1e View Post
                A drive out just a few miles from home takes us to an RAF base where there is a Gliding and Soaring Association which offers servicemen/women the chance to experience free flying. Several civilian clubs share the facility. -

Looks like Ivinghoe Beacon in the background, on the right. It's the little tree just off the summit that is the giveaway.

Jim

Comment

Particularly like the last image of the Provost jet, nice composition & tones

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
                    Hi Ann1e. No1 gave us some happy memories as Neil was a glider pilot, eventually becoming an instructor. Many an hour have I spent in a dusty paddock waiting for him to return, or going on retrieval. He doesn't fly these days, but remains interested in aviation.
                    Lyn, I didn't realise that I 'knew' any glider pilots until this post - not know personally, of course, but through this site! This area in the Chilterns is a very popular free flying area with its gentle hills.

Regards,
                    Ann1e

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn S View Post
                      I was a pilot with the RAFGSA, which airfield is this? I'm guessing Halton
                      Yes, Glenn, you are spot on, it is indeed Halton. Did you fly from this location at any time?

Regards,
                      Ann1e

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        Looks like Ivinghoe Beacon in the background, on the right. It's the little tree just off the summit that is the giveaway.

Jim
                        You are quite right, Jim, it is Ivinghoe Beacon, sometimes mistakenly quoted as being the highest point in the Chilterns. Another contender is Coombe Hill, close to where I photographed Chequers a few days ago but in fact the highest point is (allegedly!) Haddington Hill (Wendover Woods).

Regards,
                        Ann1e

Comment

Many thanks all for looking in and for your comments and wit!

Regards,
                          Ann1e

Comment

I'm an ex glider pilot too. I flew gliders from 1989 through to 2011 and logged about 1200 hours flying in them. I instructed for a while and did a fair number of competitions (but never won one ). I also flew power too, including towing the gliders. Gliding is a great recreation - challenging and thrilling at the same time. I may one day go back to it, but the dead hand of Euroland regulation is strangling it (along with most forms of private aviation). Sad...
                            Paul
                            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1e View Post
                              Yes, Glenn, you are spot on, it is indeed Halton. Did you fly from this location at any time?

Regards,
                              Ann1e
                              Hi Ann1e,

Never flew at Halton, although I have been there. I did all my RAF gliding in Cornwall, Somerset and Wiltshire.

Comment

Working...
                              X