Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Fens Falconry 2nd visit....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fens Falconry 2nd visit....

Following the group visit to Fens Falconry arranged on this forum by Ian and Oly_OM ( Andy Elliot) I recently arranged a return trip with my camera club (Bishop's Stortford)

Andy and the staff once again were superb and my friends from the club all learned a lot about BIF technique (and that Olympus make outstandingly good cameras and you really don't need a mirror or a huge sensor)

here are my favourites of the day...taken with my EM-1 and a 50-200 swd that Andy kindly lent me, which led to a bad case of GAS and a dented bank balance!

My images on flickr

Re: Fens Falconry 2nd visit....

Just to think that prior to the tuition from Andy I was struggling with BIF to the point that I thought that the Oly was not a wise choice.....learning from the experience? Ask an expert & don't doubt an Oly!
    My images on flickr

Comment

and before it is pointed out to me, I know the baby Tawny is not a BIF, but a BOB (Bird on Branch)
      My images on flickr

Comment

Hi Jonathan
        The pics look good. Particularly like no1. How do you rate the lens?

Comment

No. 3 is super
          Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Jonathan, all are STUNNING images well captured
            that nice kit you have too
            [I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

The Barn Owl is beautiful! Perfectly exposed, did you get any pictures of it sat on the public footpath sign?
              Thanks
              Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/

Comment

Hi Jon,

Great images, very well done! I think it will be worth the dented bank balance in the long run.
                Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
                  Hi Jonathan
                  The pics look good. Particularly like no1. How do you rate the lens?
                  Hi Paul,

The downsides are that it weighs more than the 75-300.

Upsides. It has a much bigger aperture than the 75-300. I also find it faster to focus and lock on the subject. The weight has one advantage because it is heavier it seems more 'stable' and makes following a subject easier. It balances nicely with the grip (which with this lens is an essential) and it works well with an EC14 which makes the grip even more essential!. It is weather and dust resistant, the build quality is superb which reflect the image quality (and it comes with a lens hood too!)

I find it makes BIF and aviation seem easier and I really enjoy using it.

I highly recommend it,they are available for hire on this forum should you fancy a 'test drive'

regards

Jonathan
                  My images on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timmypreston View Post
                    The Barn Owl is beautiful! Perfectly exposed, did you get any pictures of it sat on the public footpath sign?

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the compliment, I did, but the Owl is just not as sharp as it could be. (although the sign post is spot on!) One of those disappointing moments....

regards

Jonathan
                    My images on flickr

Comment

A good series Jonathan, I'd say that you have the technique pretty well sorted now

The weight has one advantage because it is heavier it seems more 'stable' and makes following a subject easier
                      I'm finding exactly the same, it cuts out most of my "Wavering Lens" problems, particularly when shooting overhead

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
                        A good series Jonathan, I'd say that you have the technique pretty well sorted now

I'm finding exactly the same, it cuts out most of my "Wavering Lens" problems, particularly when shooting overhead

Thank you Brian, I think so too, it was thanks to this forum, without the Fens Falconry trip I may still well be trying a combination of various different settings.

Interestingly before I returned to photography I used to shoot clays, and the principles of weight are exactly the same, heavier shotguns I found less easy to 'point', but the stability and swing were much better. (less recoil too, but you don't get much of that with an Olympus)

My images on flickr

Comment

I always wanted to go to Falconry, to shoot birds when they hunt. Unfortunately I missed last meetup organised by Ian and Oly_OM.

Can you describe how such visit look like, for example if I would go for Hunting Day experience can I have my camera with me all the time and take photos everywhere?
                          Or I could only take pictures on Photography experiences?
                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X