Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Stop Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Press

Last night I was invited to watch the Times first edition coming off the presses at Broxbourne. A very interesting visit, and one which I was allowed to photograph.

What impressed me was the high degree of automation, and the cleanliness of the place.

The reels of paper stored before going to the presses

Being automatically unwrapped

And loaded onto the presses (which are above the reels)

One of the 12 presses

The printing

Checking the quality of the production

Now that's a CIS!

The master control room

And four shots showing the finished papers ready for despatch

Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Re: Stop Press

Lovely series showing the process lucky you, did you get a copy?
    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

A great photo essay showing the production of something we all take for granted - the daily newspaper. I love the movement captured in numbers 5 & 10. Out of the whole set you only got one BUM shot - I bet that sign is a standard joke amongst the staff.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
        Lovely series showing the process lucky you, did you get a copy?
        Only when I went for my paper this morning! No-one can take anything out of the plant, even though I handled one of the very first "pre-production" copies off the press. They were also printing the Sun and the Daily Telegraph on other presses.
        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Out of the whole set you only got one BUM shot - I bet that sign is a standard joke amongst the staff.
          Strangely only I saw the joke.
          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Strangely only I saw the joke.
            Must be a sign of the Times. If it was the Daily Mirror I bet they'd have all been giggling like school children.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Nice series Stephen, all very good shots.

The 'M' in BUM should stand for Murdoch. Fee free to add your own other two letters
              John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Amazing the size of the paper rolls. Big BUM's I suppose!
                Conor.
                Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

I was seconded out and they changed the administration group unit leaders names to Business Unit Managers BUM again!
                  Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

A great series Stephen. From a copy boy (my first job while waiting for the apprenticeship year to start) I progressed to being a Linotype mechanic which is how the type was made back when...... I have also done the odd weekend 'inserts' (advertising material manually inserted to each newspaper) all night 'gravy' (cash) shift. Thanks for showing us the modern methods now, but it still brings back lots of memories.

Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

a great series Stephen, and what a BUM WRAP - although I think the latter "colloquial term used by teenagers may be to do with a RAPPERS song ??? "

I was working for Pearson Plc when the Times et al opened up Wapping ... it was amazing how the FT became overnight, no long traveled up and down the UK (*by trains and boats and planes ... ) or the World :ee: but "beamed to a satellite and bounced around the sky to be picked up in Brazil, transcribed into a local language edition and printed local there ... or in New York ... or Singapore ! and that was in the 1980's

I went on to work for RR Donnelley in NY who are described as Printers on the NY Stocks but actually a very successful IT co few know about about and invest it

http://www.rrdonnelley.com/

Like RTZ I find RRD give great ROi to my pensions
                      [I].
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Thanks Ross and Chevvy.

Ross, did you work alonside the monks carving the letters out of wood? i too remember this big cast semi-circular plates. Now they are small laser-printed aluminium plates, one for each colour.

Chevvy, I too used to work for RR Donnelly, but in Bradford. They printed and distributed "junk" mail. They have their toes in so many pies.
                        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Thanks Ross and Chevvy.

Ross, did you work alonside the monks carving the letters out of wood? i too remember this big cast semi-circular plates. Now they are small laser-printed aluminium plates, one for each colour.
                          No but I got my hand splashed by lead (lead, antinomy & tin) as I tried picking up some fallen matrices underneath an operating Electron Linotype machine (running off punch tape) while still an apprentice. It hurt! It could happen that the seal becomes compromised & then it would back splash & I got the splash this time.
                          Here is some info on the Linotype machine
                          [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linotype_machine"]Linotype machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

And if you're keen, [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYxOs1oCRY"] A video of an operating Linotype machine.[/ame]

That's how it used to be done! And then the flat bed of type would have a pressed mould (thick paper board) taken of it to then be cast into one half of a rotary shell for the Rotary Letterpress machines they used to use before the Lithographic (offset) presses were used for newspapers & your photos show the latest in that field. I serviced (& restored) old small(ish) Heidleburg Lithgraphic & Letterpress machines later.

Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Ross and Chevvy.

Chevvy, I too used to work for RR Donnelly, but in Bradford. They printed and distributed "junk" mail. They have their toes in so many pies.
                            Well, I did not know they were in the UK nor that they were into junk mail - I worked for the Corporate "Stock Listings" bit in NY ... and got lots for my 401K in shares
                            [I].
                            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Great series always wanted to go to see papers being printed.
                              Roberta
                              Roberta
                              E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
                              lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
                              FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

Comment

Working...
                              X