Things with Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things with Wings

I had a glorious day at Hillier's Arboretum in Hampshire yesterday taking both my wife and the EM-1 + 50-200 for a walk

It was still a bit early for most of the plants that attract bugs, bugs and butterflies but there were still some interesting opportunities to try for.

A first was to see (and finally identify) a "Beautiful Demoiselle" - female, which showed the most amazing copper coloured wings with the light coming through them

beautiful demoiselle female by BrianWadie, on Flickr

Beautiful Demoiselle, Hilliers A... by BrianWadie, on Flickr

Then I saw a Southern Hawker dashing about all over a small lake, ended up having to try that one with manual focus as the background was too confusing for AF to get a lock, not a great shot but a good start to the year of Dragons

southern hawker by BrianWadie, on Flickr

a more usual Large Red Damselfly, male then presented itself for inspection

large red damselfly - male by BrianWadie, on Flickr

and finally we spotted a distant Grey Wagtail collecting Blue Damselflies and I managed a not very good shot to record the activity

grey wagtail with damselfly landscape by BrianWadie, on Flickr

What I really want to know is why do these species never perform at closer range and with the light coming over my shoulder (most of these were at extreme distance and contra-jour or with strong light and shade, not easy shots)

Re: Things with Wings

Due to the fact that an agreement with BABASAU
    ( birds and bugs and small animals union) could not be agreed for payment for modelling; the members are on a make it awkward campaign with no easy poses for photographers until further notice. Nice shots love the Wagtail shot.
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Thanks, love the humour Ed (made even funnier by the fact that it would explain so much )

Comment

I forgot this shot, not really "wings" I agree but it did look as if they were flying in the clear (if coloured) water

goldfish by BrianWadie, on Flickr

Comment

Love the Beautiful Demoiselle and the Large Red, nice detail. The Southern Hawker is in fact an Emperor male - really nice find, I rarely see one.

David
          PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Thanks for the Dragon ID David, I did wonder but like you rarely see the Emperor so went for the more common option (I'm pleased the image was good enough you could see the difference )

Comment

I love those macro's of the dragon flies.
              Conor.
              Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

I take my hat off to anyone who can capture DIF (Dragons In Flight), even if they are less than perfect. Similarly the behavioural shot of the Wagtail collecting food; this type of shot doesn't have to be perfect for it to be significant to the naturalist. In fact it is of far greater use to anyone keen to learn more about the species than a portrait shot of a BOS (Bird On Stick).
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

thanks Conor and John.

I have shot much better dragons in flight using the EM-5 / EM-1 John but that was with a clear background. Here I couldn't even track it by eye most of the time so went to MF and used that to find and track it, rotating the focus barrel in and out like a lunatic to try to keep it focused.

(I'm glad you feel the same as me about behavioural work, I feel its better to get the imperfect shot showing something interesting than not bother as it may not be of top quality)

Comment

for interest, here are the original frames of the Wagtail and Dragonfly so you can see what I was working with

grey wagtail original by BrianWadie, on Flickr

dragonfly original by BrianWadie, on Flickr

Comment

A beautiful set of nature shots Brian, love the opening demoiselle ... utterly stunning.
                      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

thanks Mark, better to come I hope

Comment

here are a few earlier Dragons in Flight with the EM-5 + 35-100, AF'd with a clear background

http://www.imagesfromnature.co.uk/ga...n-flight-19660

Comment

All great shots Brian as always! Hilliers makes a good day out but as it is so local to us (one mile) we rarely visit! In fact on that day we were visiting the Mary Rose at Portsmouth!

Comment

Thanks Dave, its always the way isn't it - local attractions tend to be ignored (unless in our case, we have visitors who find them fascinating to visit )

Now I'm getting a bit less mobile I'm beginning to appreciate having venues like this on the doorstep however

Comment

Working...
                              X