A different perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different perspective

By reversing the gimbalhead (upside down) a nice perspective can be achieved bringing lens almost to the subject level. Thanks to the tiltable LCD panning and focusing is feasible. Had the shore had a different topology I could had shot from even lower perspective, but as it was the camera body is almost resting on the sandy/muddy bank.

These are with taken with the TS102 scope (700mm / F6.8)

The Mergansers are so difficult to come close, their comfort zone was around 75 meters to I added the EC14. Some air distortion has impacted the IQ, but still I think it deserves to be shared.

The Coot and the greedy Red-necked Grebe are full frames.

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

#1 Greedy Red-necked Grebe. He somehow managed to swallow the Perch, but it was hard work. The female is lying on their eggs in a reed bed nearby.

#2 Coot having a snack between fights, so I think it is a male.

#3 Couple of Red-breasted Mergansers on their Sunday swim.

My Gallery on 500px

Re: A different perspective

A very nice set Tord, it's a very effective combination you have there.
    I particularly like number 1 which is an excellent capture and number 3 which I found very amusing, they almost look submerged!!
    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
    Capture One Pro
    My flickr

Comment

another super set Tord, you really have mastered the system you use and are achieving some stunning results.

Once again the Grebe steals my heart, an excellent bit of Natural History action

Comment

Superb set Tord.

The first one is a great capture, well done.

Thanks for sharing.
        Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
        OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
        Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Very nice, the Grebe for me also.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Great shots that Grebe picks large helpings.
            Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Thanks for nice comments. I've got a sequence of action pictures where he eventually manages to swallow the Perch. Unfortunately they did not turn out sharp enough for my liking. Depth of field is so narrow that you need to be spot on, I would say within 1cm. It's tricky to keep track of moving subjects with the focuser at close distance and this guy was swimming quite fast in oblique angle to the shore, I was a bit lucky to get a few keepers.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Lucky...NO...just skill..awesome action pics....that Grebe is just fantastic.

Keith
                Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
                Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

It makes me feel quite uncomfortable looking at the Grebe swallowing that large fish, especially knowing how spiny Perch are. Great shots as always Tord.

Ron

Comment

As others have said, a great series. But that 1st one is exceptional and shows great skill.
                    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Working...
                    X