Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Red Squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Squirrels

Today's long walk through in search for Lesser Woodpecker (I had seen recent reports of sightings) rewarded me with quite a few encounters with Red Squirrels - however the Woodpeckers were nowhere to be seen.

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Re: Red Squirrels

Fantastic shots Tord. The red squirrel is under threat from the Grey varity east of the Shannon river here in Ireland as mentioned in another post.
    Conor.
    Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

The second is the stand out for me.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Nice one.
        2nd is my fave too, all are great though.

Comment

Superb shots yet again Tord, I think I have to agree that 2 is very special.
          Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
          Flickr

Comment

all great images with No2 being my favourite

Comment

Great set of pics Tordaen. Reminds of my childhood days in the north of Scotland,when as a family we would go picking nuts and watching the antics of these lovely creatures.
              Benedict
              ---------

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Comment

Thanks all. I am inclined to agree that the posture in #2 is quite expressive, add to this a clean background. Just missing a bit of sunlight...

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Yes I agree excellent shots Tord. We went to the IoW a few years ago to see some Reds but all we got was a feint rustling in the treetops
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Great set Tord!
                    GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Stunning shots of a nice little character.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

Can I ask if these were processed from RAW files Tord, or are they out-of-camera jpegs?
                        David

Comment

David,
                          These are processed from E-M5 ORFs using Lightroom. Black/white point and contrast adjustment, no other improvements.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                            David,
                            These are processed from E-M5 ORFs using Lightroom. Black/white point and contrast adjustment, no other improvements.
                            Have you shot jpegs as well or just the ORF files? The reason I ask is that I just cannot get the right colouration for red squirrel fur when processing ORF files from the EM1 in Lightroom (nor when I was using an E-5 could I manage it in Camera Raw). It always turns out too orange, but reducing the orange saturation and increasing red just washes out the colour of the coat. Yet in the out-of-camera jpegs the colours seem perfect. I eventually stopped shooting red squirrels in raw and now only use jpegs, exactly the opposite for what I'd do for a landscape shot. I'm sure it's something to do with my lack of skill in Lightroom, but since the in-camera jpeg processing was so good I'm generally quite happy to settle for that.
                            David

Comment

Originally posted by Graptolite View Post
                              Have you shot jpegs as well or just the ORF files? The reason I ask is that I just cannot get the right colouration for red squirrel fur when processing ORF files from the EM1 in Lightroom (nor when I was using an E-5 could I manage it in Camera Raw). It always turns out too orange, but reducing the orange saturation and increasing red just washes out the colour of the coat.
                              No, I save in JPEG only when instant delivery/sharing of picture is needed. Squirrels illuminated by sunlight do appear quite orange, while they appear more red when in the shadows/cloudy, as is visible in this set where the light conditions changed from one minute to next one.

Sometimes, my E-M5 produces frames with way too high color temperature. And sometimes it produces frames with pronounced green hue. This was not the case the other day, I did not change the color settings.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                              X