First macro flash attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First macro flash attempts

I recently asked a question regarding the use of legacy OM flash equipment with E-series cameras. I received some helpful advice so decided to give it a go. I took the precaution of measuring trigger voltages for myself and saw nothing over about 8 volts.

An initial test of putting a T20 on the E-1 and tinkering with apertures in manual mode did result in an acceptable image. I then tried a T10 ringflash and went looking for spiders. This shot, E-1 + T Power Control 1 + T10 + OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 + MF-1 + EC-14. Shutter speed 1/160th, aperture f/11 or f/16, ISO 100.

The next two, E-3 + T Power Control 1 + T10 + OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 + MF-1 + EC-14. Shutter speed 1/200th, aperture f/11 or f/16, ISO 100.

Processed using Olympus Master 2, levels and sharpening, third shot cropped from landscape to portrait.

I have never used macro flash kit before (well I have a few years ago but haven't got the film developed yet ) so it is going to be an interesting learning experience. I don't quite get the sharpness I want but that could be a function of the small apertures and diffraction. Going to a larger aperture will then lose DoF

I hope you enjoy them

Cheers,

JohnGG

Re: First macro flash attempts

Well - you are shooting the spiders flat so you can probably get away with quite a shallow dof, bit of an angle and those legs dissolve into nothingness.

Nice shots - thanks for sharing.

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Re: First macro flash attempts

All are nice and particularly the last one. Well done.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X