Smart Bird !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Bird !

Somewhat determined to capture one of the flock that visit my yard early each morning I set up the E-3
    with appropriate settings with regard to the sun which had not at that early hour reached into the shadows.
    Obviously this guy prefers to drink straight from the tap rather than from the common drinking bowl.

E-3 + 50-200mm @ 1/125 @ EV -0.3 @ f/3.5 @ 200mm @ ISO500 (higher gets noisy)
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Re: Smart Bird !

Lovely shot great detail.
    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Gorgeous shot Mark. They are the most irrepressible of birds and you have captured this perfectly. Why drink from the bowl when you can have fun and get a drink at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
        Gorgeous shot Mark. They are the most irrepressible of birds and you have captured this perfectly. Why drink from the bowl when you can have fun and get a drink at the same time?
        At first it perched atop the post, leaned over and turned on the tap with its beak, I was so gob-smacked that I missed the shot, then he hopped down for the above! I knew how smart they are but didn't expect it to be that smart!
        My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
          Lovely shot great detail.
          Thanks Ed.
          My Flickr

Comment

That is fantastic Mark

I have been out foxed by a few smart birds in my time so be on your guard
            My Flickr Home Page

Comment

What a terrific shot Mark. They are certainly extremely intelligent birds. A great capture.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post
                That is fantastic Mark I have been out foxed by a few smart birds in my time so be on your guard
                Thanks Greg, I've been out foxed by nearly all of them!

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                What a terrific shot Mark. They are certainly extremely intelligent birds. A great capture. Ron
                Thanks Ron. They can be intimidatingly intelligent, so much so that when someone calls me a "bird brain" I take it as a compliment !
                My Flickr

Comment

Amazing how clever these feathered creatures are.
                  Great capture Mark

PS The tap turning image has to be your next challenge
                  Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                  Capture One Pro
                  My flickr

Comment

Super shot Mark, love to see him turning the tap on that must have been great...
                    Cliff, my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffscrivens/

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                      At first it perched atop the post, leaned over and turned on the tap with its beak, I was so gob-smacked that I missed the shot, then he hopped down for the above! I knew how smart they are but didn't expect it to be that smart!
                      The shot you got was pretty (meaning, very) good, but the one you didn't get would have been even more of a cracker, but they certainly are pretty good at getting what they want & know how to get it.

Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                        Amazing how clever these feathered creatures are.
                        Great capture Mark PS The tap turning image has to be your next challenge
                        I heard the Cockatoos screeching from the treetops a half hour ago, rushed for the E-3 all set up, sunrise blocked by a band of low Cumulous on the horizon, ISO640, not enough light, final sun breaks through and the Cockies pissed off ... so was I!

Originally posted by cliff View Post
                        Super shot Mark, love to see him turning the tap on that must have been great...
                        Cliff, what I want to see is one turning on the tap to water my garden!

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                        The shot you got was pretty (meaning, very) good, but the one you didn't get would have been even more of a cracker, but they certainly are pretty good at getting what they want & know how to get it.
                        Thanks Ross, but no joy from this morning's visitation.
                        My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                          I heard the Cockatoos screeching from the treetops a half hour ago, rushed for the E-3 all set up, sunrise blocked by a band of low Cumulous on the horizon, ISO640, not enough light, final sun breaks through and the Cockies pissed off ... so was I!

Cliff, what I want to see is one turning on the tap to water my garden!

Thanks Ross, but no joy from this morning's visitation.
                          You must be forgetting, that they're smart & saw you coming.

It's not easy to get them them to perform for you unless you have the food they want. Occasionally they might take food from a bucket in my hand (not my hand, because they try that too), but they are very wary & will take off if spooked, although they can be quite cheeky & come asking for a handout. I want to see the tap turn on routine though.
                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Great shot Mark. Another request for you to try for the tap turning shot!
                            https://amandat.smugmug.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajthrelfall/

Comment

Brilliant picture, Mark. My wife would love a cockatoo.
                              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
                              X