Tiny Mushroom Macro Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Mushroom Macro Fun

I thought i'd dip my toe in the water and share some recent shots...I always welcome criticism so fire away!

I spotted these tiny fungi in a bed of mossy lichen type stuff(!) while wandering around a local heath and was thankful I had my 35mm Macro with me.

They were shot handheld as the one thing I hadn't put in my bag was a mini tripod and the weather was typically grey so I was limited with light, but I'm quite pleased with how they came out...it's made me realise I should look for fungi as carefully as I look for birds!

EM1, 35mm Macro, F8, ISO800, 1/125

EM1, 35mm Macro, F10, ISO800, 1/60

EM1, 35mm Macro, F10, ISO800, 1/60

I wish i'd removed some of the twigs from this last one...isn't hindsight wonderful?

Thanks for looking.

Alan
    Slowly expanding Flickr
    ..and my horribly out of date website

Re: Tiny Mushroom Macro Fun

Nice crisp shots with great detail. I would agree about the twigs, why is it on checking the camera we look at what we are shooting rather than the rest which we then check at home?

Never seen No. 3 any name ?
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

I've got no idea what they are...I don't even know if it's a lichen or fungi... I'm happy to call it Nigel!
      Slowly expanding Flickr

Comment

I will go with that, although I would hate to be in a forest looking for them and be asked by a passerby what I was looking for!
        Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

my kind of natural history shots, excellent work

Comment

I agree with Brian - lovely images. I've never seen anything like the green ones. I hope someone with knowledge joins the thread to let us know what they are, but I think they are wonderful!!

Comment

Originally posted by wellyboot View Post
              I agree with Brian - lovely images. I've never seen anything like the green ones. I hope someone with knowledge joins the thread to let us know what they are, but I think they are wonderful!!
              We've already established they're Nigels!

They look like little alien plants...There were loads of them scattered around in the mossy stuff (again...not even sure it's moss...i'm not good with plants!). I'd say the bigger ones in the photo were no larger than 5-6mm across at the top so they're certainly easy to miss!

Thanks for the kind comments.
              Slowly expanding Flickr

Comment

I think the little ones are "Pixie Cup fungus" http://www.voyageurcountry.com/htmls...pixiecups.html

I've got shots of the crimson capped ones which have a very similar size and shape

Comment

Those are wonderful macro shots, really sharp and the colours are just superb. Hard to believe that they're handheld!
                  The last one is an excellent picture of lichen fruiting bodies. (As in third picture down on this page http://alvecotewood.wordpress.com/tag/moss/ )
                  David

Comment

I really like these, they have a great look to them
                    My Flickr

Comment

For the last image, try Sphagnum Moss. I photographed some locally and it was red when in 'bloom'.

David

Comment

Those are great shots.
                        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Cracking shots, particularly for hand held.

The last one is of the fruiting bodies of some kind of Lichen, the golf-tee things are Podetia, which contain (and in this case are covered in) Soridia, the grains which contain the spores of the fungal part of the Lichen. They do look like some kind of Cladonia, but you can't tell from a photo alone.
                          John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

I thought the last shot was a set of mouldy golf tees. I'm still not convinced that they aren't!

A nice set of shots.

Comment

All lovely shots but the colour in the first one is just fantastic. Its just the sort of thing I would be striving for. Is there any post processing on this?
                              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                              Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                              X