EM-1 + 75-300 Bird Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM-1 + 75-300 Bird Images

No flight shots during this visit to the Arundel Wetland Centre but a good change to try for some bird images in a widely varying light, requiring that I shoot from ISO200 to ISO1600 depending on the situation and light

I am now totally happy shooting at ISO1600 where am I constantly surprised by how little noise there is in some of the images I am getting (obviously where the light is very low and I have to push the post-processing there is some noise but its very well controlled)

here are a few shots from this session, for your enjoyment (I hope)

A preening mallard with ISO1600

A happy drake, having just finished having his way with his partner with, ISO400

A Black-headed swan preening at ISO1600 (a real test of dynamic range this one )

A black headed Cygnet, just coming into the adult colours, ISO800

Re: EM-1 + 75-300 Bird Images

Fabulous images!

Comment

Thanks - Fabulous Camera

Comment

Look nice, best images I have seen from that lens

Comment

Really nice crisp set of pics. That lens performance is amazing makes you wonder why anyone would want to buy the 300mmf2.8
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

A wider aperture, even f4 would have been nice for some of the darker shots, but the EM-1 does show the 75-300 to best effect

Comment

Lovely images there Brian. Very impressive!

Comment

When the light is "right" this combination really does strut its stuff - a couple more I've just spotted

Comment

Some really beautiful shots there.
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Some excellent shots Brian. It seems I have got a lot to learn with mine.

Ron

Comment

Cracking shots Brian lots of detail.

Tom
                      "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

I have to admit having read the test reports I wrote this lens off as a bad idea, but it seems your proving them wrong as some of these are cracking images.

I assume your shooting raw & processing?

Maybe the testers are using a to low a shutter speed? its easy to get fooled and not take the crop factor into account and thus not use a fast enough one.

Comment

mostly raw but a couple of .jpgs as well (the Mallard preening is one from memory). I'm finding Large Smooth Fine jpg produces pretty good images unless the lighting is really difficult

Long ago I decided that for my wildlife work I would always try for a much higher shutter speed than the reciprocal rule might indicate, not for stability but because birds, beasties and bugs are always moving erratically, even when apparently still.

1/1000th+ is my preferred with 1/640th really being the lowest I would like to work with

(obviously if its a once in a lifetime shot I work with whatever I can get under the conditions)

Comment

I found the exact same thing Brian, and I too aim for 1/1000th as you said its needed because wildlife is constantly making small movements, especially birds, they twitch like crazy!

Comment

That's certainly working well for you and shows the strength of the camera. I'm in Northumbria taking bird photographs and the key factor is definitely the quality of light, especially for BIFs. Taking fairly long range shots on both the E-M1 and the Canon 7D shows just how good the Olympus is. I'll post a few when I return but I doubt if I can produce the quality you have Brian.

David
                              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Working...
                              X