The best of last nights light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best of last nights light

Here is a shot from the beach last night when the light was at its best. Its not the best light or what I was hoping for.

Here goes

Washing over by alf.branch, on Flickr

All C&C welcome
    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Re: The best of last nights light

Hi there Alf! I love the sky in this one and have to say it would certainly find a space on my wall. Great image and keep them coming! I also have a question :- how do you manage long exposures like that in the wind? Even on a tripod I rarely get a keeper when it was as windy as it was yesterday (well it was about sixty miles or so south of you)

Cheers, Ralph.

Comment

Thanks Ralph

As far as wind goes there was a stiff breeze when I took this. Although my tripod did tip over at one point caught by the cable release and then strap.
      If it was an issue in an image I would spread the tripod legs wider and hang my bag from the centre column. I was in a precarious position here and it was not easy.

I will ask the obvious question though do you turn off the IS?
      What tripod do you have?
      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Hi there Alf!

I always turn IS off when I use a tripod, as I've been told it can cause issues - something about resonances building up causing the camera to shake without the natural damping of your hands.

My tripod is a cheap vanguard - it is fine indoors and outside when it is calm, but when the wind gets up it seems to vibrate or move a bit. It doesn't have a bag hook on the tripod, which limits my options, normally I try to just set it on it's lowest height on the extending section at the top as that is what seems to move most, but even then when the wind is anything more than brisk or at all gusty the images are blurred. I guess that a more expensive and better made tripod with a weight hanging down is the way forward, just have to put it on my christmas list

Cheers,

Ralph

Comment

Ralph
          Tripods are not something to skimp on IMO. But if you are happy with vertical only column on a budget THIS

Comment

Hi there Alf!

Unfortunately I tend to skimp on everything - all my gear is second hand or was broken when I bought it! The one you have recommended looks far more sturdy than mine - and the price puts it at the just within reach point. I'd love one like yours but I'd have to sell a camera or two.

As the review of the one you have recommended says it is on the heavy side I may trawl E**y for one if someone has decided to upgrade to something lighter!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Wow Alf, that is a stunning shot and I love the water running over the rocks!
              Ian from the Cotswolds
              http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Nothing wrong with that shot. I wish I had taken it, cause I'd have it in a frame!
                Conor.
                Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

Originally posted by Iansky View Post
                  Wow Alf, that is a stunning shot and I love the water running over the rocks!

Originally posted by banjukes View Post
                  Nothing wrong with that shot. I wish I had taken it, cause I'd have it in a frame!
                  Thankyou both glad you like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X