OMD does street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMD does street

The OMD + 25mm f1.4 is my favourite street combo and they deliver great quality images.

I find this combo small enough with just the half grip without battery pack to render it of a size that does not draw great attention and with the tiltable LCD it is great for different angled shots.

I shoot all my images in Raw and use OV3 for basic editing, I use Silver Efex Pro2 for my B&W conversions and find it a great package.

Below are some of my recent street shots:

Ian from the Cotswolds
    http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: OMD does street

Great set of monochromes, in particular I like the first for the dogs expression and the last for the way it conveys solitude. You have mastered a good technique in the art of street photography .

Thanks for sharing these.

Tom
    "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

A very imaginative set. What reactions do you get when shooting this type of photo?
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Ian, your pictures brings back memories of having walked down that ancient narrow street in No. 2. We were in the ancient market city of Cirencester (not long enough) for a brief 2 hrs returning to London from Painswick. The Cotswolds are rich in wonderful things to shoot.
        My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Some good stuff there. Do you use a preset in SE Pro?
          Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Hmm...must make an effort to try to get Silver Efex to work on my PC. It doesn't seem to like my setup in Windows 8.

Great shots and great processing.
            Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
            OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
            cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

I would love to try some street photography. These are great.

David
              www.wildlifewales.co.uk
              www.dragonseyephotography.co.uk

Comment

Hi Ian
                The last image is my fave, a senior citizen deep in thought, street photography is not easy, I have been playing myself in the last week and found it right out of my comfort zone
                Phil

EM1-GH3-EPL5
                Panny 12/35...35/100...20/1.7
                Oly 14/150...45/1.8...60 Macro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27983273@N04/

http://deckitout.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                  Some good stuff there. Do you use a preset in SE Pro?
                  Hi Dave,

No, I do not use a preset - when I had the GX1 I used to use the High Structure setting but I find this a little too harsh with OMD images so I tend to switch my options depending on image, lighting and contrast.

I still find it the most cost effective B&W convertor available and it gives me far better results than PS - but that is me.
                  Ian from the Cotswolds

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                    A very imaginative set. What reactions do you get when shooting this type of photo?

Hi Stephen,

I tend to find that because the Mu43's are so small, people tend to ignore me, if they do pay more attention I will be aware they are watching but turn the camera to give the impression I am shooting something else whilst keeping an eye on them, when they lose interest I will get the shot.

If it is an image I want I will also approach them and ask if they mind but emphasize they should ignore me and carry on - I always make a point of showing them the image in cases like this and will offer to send them a copy if they provide an email - this tends to diffuse any animosity and often ends in a good laugh and even more photos.

The biggest challenge with street shooting is having the confidence to get out there and do it, shooting covertly will inevitably draw more attention than being open and confidence through stance, expression and looking like you know what you are doing tends to bring fewer challenges than being timid about it.

Not for everyone though but definitely worth the effort and with today's super fast and accurate AF (I always use AFS), you can grab the shot and move on before they are aware.

Good luck
                    Ian from the Cotswolds

Comment

These really are quality street images Ian. I have dabbled in street photography but I do feel nervous about seeming intrusive, I would hate to offend. I have thought of asking, do you find people become self conscious when you do this?
                      Shirley
                      www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
                      www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shirley View Post
                        These really are quality street images Ian. I have dabbled in street photography but I do feel nervous about seeming intrusive, I would hate to offend. I have thought of asking, do you find people become self conscious when you do this?

Hi Shirley,

I tend to find that probably 70% don't notice me taking the photo, those that do either smile, turn away or look unhappy.

As I said above, those that see me take the photo and watch me do it I will always go and thank them and show it to them, I also tell them why I took it and that usually diffuses any tension.

It can be daunting but you just cannot show it, the results can be good though as life is full of characters.
                        Ian from the Cotswolds

Comment

Working...
                        X