Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Nuthatch with external flash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuthatch with external flash...

Popped up to the Silent Valley reserve this morning with the popup hide and also took the FL-50 plus cable attachment with me as I have been wanting to try a few shots up there with flash. Haven't processed many as of yet but I rather liked this one.

Believe it or not, this Nuthatch shot is actually in the correct orientation!Strange birds eh!

Everything was in full manual mode for this shot, both the E-3 and the FL-50 flash unit. I took a few test shots to check the exposure, set the FL-50 to GN81, and fired off a few.

Nuthatch

John

Re: Nuthatch with external flash...

John

Good shot. I was looking to try the flash on a cable and find your experiences very helpful. I think I'll be using it hand held rather than at a distance.

So I hope you'll keep experimenting. Not sure how you use the flash on manual...I just use the auto mode. But it is a lovely bird shot and you have kept some nice feather detail, so I look forward to seeing some more posts and details of your trials and what works.

Peter
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Hey Peter

I have had a glass (read, bottle) of wine this evening and what I am about to write may need to be corrected once I revisit this thread tomorrow morning!!

However, the configuration choices of flash and camera are important I feel.

If I understand the settings correctly, if you have your flash on auto, then no matter what settings the camera is on your images should be well exposed because the flash - in Auto TTL mode - will compensate and adjust its power output accordingly depending on aperture, ISO and shutter speed on camera.

Hope that makes sense.
      John

Comment

John

thats what I hoped, so just need the cable now. I have had it bookmarked for weeks. I just hoped it would get cheaper!

Peter
        Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

I gt mine from ebay Peter, I have had a look to see where I got it from but can't find it sorry. Will have another look for you and post if I find it.

Also... to elaborate on what I mentioned last night, when the E-3 is in 'A' mode, with the FL-50 connected (via cable or directly), regardless of the control settings on the FL-50, the camera shutter speed is always set to 1/250th of a second. This allows you to close down the aperture in an attempt to get greater DoF, which is something I forgot to do when I spotted the Vole I shot... oops!
          John

Comment

Working...
          X