Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Birdwatching lesson.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdwatching lesson.

I went for a stroll with my daughter on the moors yesterday evening. Part of her job is monitoring birds on windfarm sites so she gets a lot of practice at moorland birding.

First off a black dot shot into the sky and then started singing. "Skylark" I yelled. Nope, Meadow Pipit says she, it sings on the way down. She never looked BTW, recognized the song. I got the Curlew right, then she announced "a snipe drumming" I couldn't hear anything but lo and behold we managed to spot a pair of snipe displaying above. Finally a bird shot up out of the heather "Skylarks nest". She went straight to the nest and I got a quick shot off

Within 10 seconds we were away from the nest so the eggs didn't cool and mother returned straight away. I'd never have found a nest, but apparently Skylarks behave differently if you are very close to the nest so it's easy, innit?

So much to learn, so little time
    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Re: Birdwatching lesson.

Should take her with you when birding John, or you go out and about with her when she is monitoring, might learn abit and get some amazing piccies too.

Dave

P.S. thanks for sharing your adventure with your daughter.
    My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Wish I had that sort of experience, I can spot the birds OK, but have to identify a lot later
      How nice is that, Father and daughter enjoying the day?
      The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

In the 90's I was part of a group protecting a Peregrine nest site 24/7. Some of us could sex the Peregrines by their calls. The bigger female had a more 'raspy' call them the male.
        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

That would have been a nice experience John and it's a nice picture as a memento.
          My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Trainspotting is not dead!

thanks for sharing
            chris
            shetland

Comment

Great story and picture, John.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
                Wish I had that sort of experience, I can spot the birds OK, but have to identify a lot later
                How nice is that, Father and daughter enjoying the day?
                Just what I was thinking So rare these days

Fab information - I struggle with bird id of the plumage - let alone the calls. Friends who seem to know all bird calls suggest I download them to my tablet/pc and listen to one a day and if I take the tablet or my phone with them downloaded on walks, I can id as I walk about ... one day I shall
                [I].
                I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Chevvy, listen to radio 4's tweet of the day just before 6am.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

I've got CDs of North American bird songs and calls but don't find them very useful. I find it a lot easier to learn calls by watching the birds sing and call.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

The daughter's got a one of these, which drove the cat berserk until it got used to it.

I reckon that if you could learn the common birds you can tell if there's something unusual around.
                      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Thanks for sharing a nice story. Me too would like to become better at this.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

SWMBO has the North American version of the clock, highly annoying to the point the calls are turned off all the time.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

We have 2 clocks. The North American one is turned off and the British one is on. We also have Kate Humbles CD of bird songs (free with the Telegraph).
                            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                            Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                            X